1984 Alfetta with motronic injection

Started by robfetta, January 13, 2015, 12:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robfetta

G'day,

I am new to the forum and a returning Alfa owner.  At uni I used to have a very nice 74 alfetta. Long sold but never forgotten. A small number of engineering mates and I had alfas at the time and we had a ball in them.

I have now have an 84 and  77 alfettas both projects.

I have started on the 84 and was looking for advice as it has motronic fuel injection.  This does not seem very common and even the manual I had kept all the years without an alfa, only covers mechanical Spica injection. I am in the middle of rebuilding the engine and all seems pretty normal. It needs rings, bearings, timing chain etc, but noticed on some parts sites that some parts are unique to the motronic version????

Is there info on the motronic engine somewhere that I can download?
Does any one out there have a similar beast?

I have had to source another head (original was cracked) and the only difference I can see is that there are reliefs in the top of the inlet port where it mates to the inlet manifold and allows the injector to "spray" without interference. I was going to make similar reliefs in the replacement head with a die grinder, any thoughts out there on this?

The inlet system seems original with one exception.... there is a fabricated steel pipe between the throttle body and the moulded plastic hose that leads into the MAF. It is clearly not OEM and I wonder why someone has done this and what was the original arrangement.  If any one has a photo of the engine bay of a motronic car that would be a big help.

Thanks for any help at this early stage would be appreciated.
Rob.

84 Alfetta Motronic inj (project)
77 Alfetta (project)
86 BMW M6
81 BMW 635 (project)
1930 Riley special race car

Duk

My Haynes manual for the Alfetta has a section on the Motronic ECU. Perhaps keep an eye out for 1 of them.

And welcome to the forum.
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

VeeSix

I can not recall Australia delivered Alfettas having injection Rob, they were all twin carburetor

Is it a private import?

Has a previous owner removed the original engine and put in a 75 Twin Spark engine?

Put up some photos if you can Rob
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

LukeC

There was one here in Canberra many years ago. I never worked on it, but I knew a guy that did at Gulson's.

Probably came in with as a private import by a public servant after an OS posting.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

four90s

Hey Rob,

I think I've got an engine manual that covers the motronic 4 cyl. If you can't find a Haines manual drop me a line and I'll look it up.

Cheers
Steve
Adelaide.
Four90s
Too many others to list
(33 Alfas and some other things since 1979)

robfetta

Thanks to  all those that replied before, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to it. (Just sold my business so now I can get on with the important things in life!).

I confirmed this is not the original engine. Contacted the archive of Alfa etc with help from the forum, originally sold in Adelaide etc. Also had a closer look at the installation and clearly put in at some time.

So what to do now??????

The engine the head to be repaired as there is a small crack between combustion chamber and water gallery.

What do you all think?  Rebuild the engine with another head and go back to carbies (would there be interest in the complete fuel injection setup?) or repair the current setup.

Thanks,
Rob.
84 Alfetta Motronic inj (project)
77 Alfetta (project)
86 BMW M6
81 BMW 635 (project)
1930 Riley special race car

ACP

What do you use the car for?  Are you after hp or reliability?

Fwiw I had one with motronic and variable inlet which was a personal import by a previous owner from the UK...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alfa 1967 Gulia GT Veloce 1600