Started by lilpug, July 24, 2009, 07:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilpug

i have just bought a 105 coupe and need a good engine for it,if anyone
has one to sell please contact me.
i am in ferntree gully victoria.
cheers, peter.

Mat Francis

Try Monza Motors in Bayswater, just up the road. I saw more than 30 suitable engines sitting on the floor there today.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

lilpug

Rex Pirie

Hi
I've got a 1750 engine being rebuilt at Maranello Motors. Has 2.0 litre cams in it, fully balanced and prepared by Bruno.
If you're interested-
Also got a very nice 1971 105 for sale too. (sadly)

lilpug

could you please let me know your price condition and location/
my e-mail address is develop14@hotmail.com
cheers, peet.

lilpug

i seem to have a problem with e-mails, could you please try again.
cheers, peet.

lilpug

since i bought the 105 junior things have become confused. the person i bought the car from told me the car had been fitted
with a 1750 engine and needed reco or replacing. on checking compression i come up with some wildly varying numbers.
i then  put some carburettor cleaning fluid on top of the pistons and after a while started the engine and squited the cleaning fluid through the carburettors.
after this i again checked compression and got figures between 140 and 145 lbs. the engine now runs well at higher revs but stumbles at idle and low revs and it seems there is a problem with the front carb.
how can i find out what engine capacity has been fitted?                                                                                                                                                                                                               eng
no;ARO548*2905 Carburettors webber DCOE 28
cheers, peet.

Mat Francis

A really simple way to see (assuming of course this applies to all 1750's and not just the one's in my shed) is to look at the front of the motor. I believe 1750's have a triangle stamped in them, just above where the head joins to the block.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

lilpug

Thanks Matt,
i asume you mean at the front of the block, just above the waterpump.
cannot see a triangle stamped on my engine (unless it is to faint to see)
cheer, Peet. ???

ItalCarGuy

Peet,

an 10548 engine is definitely a 1750. The second series of numbers should have at least one more digit though. If it does I could give you an approximate year of production for that engine. Oh, and the DCOE28 carbs were factory for the 1300 GT Junior, they would have needed to be rejetted for a 1750.

Sheldon McIntosh

There should be a mark on the front of the head above the waterpump, as Mat says.

1300 will have a vertical line
1600 will have a square
1750 will have a triangle, and a dot inside the triangle if it's from an Alfetta
2000 will have a square with a diagonal line through it.

I believe they can be quite hard to see sometimes, but there should be something there.  Get the degreaser out!

And, going from your engine number, it's a 1750 out of a GTV1750, Berlina, or Spider Veloce.

lilpug

Thanks guys,
I mis understood, i thought the mark was on the block, however it is on the head a clear triangle.
Also the engine number is AR00548*29805*
i will have to remove the carburettors as the front one has a problem while idling and at low revs.
thanks for your help, i can now start with stripping of the paint and repairing rust and doing something
about the dashboard.
Cheers, peet.

Mat Francis

Before you go taking the carbs off, are you sure that they just aren't out of balance/tune? Might turn out to be a pretty easy fix. Start with the simple things
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

lilpug

Good idea, must study the workshop manual, not to clued up on webbers.