Fat Boy Racing rides again! 2013 Shitbox Rally

Started by Stuart Thomson, November 02, 2012, 08:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Thomson

Hi All,

In a feat of either monumental bravery or monumental stupidity we have again entered an Alfa 90 into the SBR for 2013.

It's the same one we used for 2012 (starting to edge towards stupidity...).

I have had a change of co-driver, another bloke from work, Simon, who was in the rally in 2011 has decided it would be good to team up.  We were going to do so last year, but Simon was called away to a wedding in Europe at the last minute.  Anyway, here's a pic of us on the 2011 rally, you MAY be able to work out why our team name is Fat Boy Racing (I'll give you a clue, I hate Harleys, almost as much as I hate French cars, Ooh the Peugeot 308CC a new feat of ugliness).

I've started a blog of the activities related to the car at http://www.siriuscybernetics.org.au/Siriuscybernetics/Shitbox_Rally_2103/Shitbox_Rally_2103.html.  Just to get you started I'll post bits and pieces here.

Over the past few weeks I've been trying to determine what actually broke on the rally this year and what could be repaired and what needs to be replaced.

I've hacked at the heater hoses, tried to join them together (I don't think we'll need a heater where we are going), but a 13mm irrigation elbow isn't 15mm in diameter, hence it still leaks... but not much, and when the car warms up, hardly anything at all...

I've changed the oil, changed the coolant (well it mostly came out of it's own accord when I was playing with the heater hoses), even changed the oil filter.

I've checked under the car, apart from the lack of sump guard and bits of the exhaust, it still looks fine, most of the dead kangaroo has rotted off by now, so it doesn't smell too bad.

Some of the rubber bits are a bit secondhand, will need a new gearbox mount and castor rod bushes.

I managed to get a new rear exhaust, which got fitted today, looks great, only clean bit of the car!

I'll bring the car out for Spettacolo in it's current condition, i.e. before I give it a good clean, come and have a look.  Don't forget to donate to the cause though, there'll be a dedicated collection bucket on the car, please give generously.

Cheers
Stuart (Fat Boy #1)

Beatle

Onya Stuart.

Hey, I think copper plumbing tube is 15mm dia.  As it doesn't have a 'lip' you'd need to ensure you feed a fair amount of it inside your hoses and maybe double-clam.  Think about using some form of sealer/adhesive (not silicone).   Or you could solder or braze a lip around it.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Craig_m67

I want a bacon t-shirt!
...and well see you on the rally too  :)

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Cool Jesus

Don't forget the good oil.  8)
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS