916 Spider Strut Brace

Started by John Hanslow, December 04, 2012, 02:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Hanslow

Thinking of purchasing a 2002 Spider TS.  Some knowledgeable alfisti recommended that I get a strut brace to tighten up the front and also improve handling.  Obviously for a spider the benefits would be more noticeable than a GTV due to the spider body.

I have been looking on line and it would appear the there is the Wiechers Strut bar for a 2.0 lt TS.  There is a red metal and also an aluminium one.  I only assume that for a few dollars more to buy the aluminium one is cheaper to freight.

Any opinions please ?
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

colcol

If you want the strut bar for bling, then buy the alloy bar, if you want it because there may be a chance it will work then get the steel one, in race cars alloy roll bars went out with pushrod engines, all race car roll cages and braces are made with proper aircraft spec steel, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Cool Jesus

Hey I'm also keeping an eye open for these braces on my Spider. Where are you looking? Is the freight just a flat rate or is it a different manufacterer? Considering what Col said, I'd go for the bling ::)

When I first got our 916 Spider my Uncle didn't seem to think that the brace would lessen the scuttle shake. I've yet to give the car a good once over and align the panels inside and out, which is where I think a lot of my squeeks are coming from. Once I get this don't I'll give the strut brace some further research and will keep a keen eye on this thread.

Here's a link with mixed opinions, certainly don't want to fall into the subconcious belief that it works because of the money spent???

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuning-and-upgrades/308155-anyone-fitted-a-torsion-bar-to-a-spider.html
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Cool Jesus

Here's some info on MG torsional rigidty that may be informative?

http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/body/index.htm
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

wankski

John Hanslow

Interesting response and lots of really good info.

QuoteIf you want the strut bar for bling, then buy the alloy bar, if you want it because there may be a chance it will work then get the steel one,

Performance is what I am after and after reading the MG article and speaking to a few mechanics, I think any spider can do with a bit of extra rigidity. 

From what I have heard (various opinions) Merc SLs are referred to in the trade as 'rattle and hum' and MG are the leaders in scuttle shake ! 

So will look at the options as to what is available on the market, EB spares, ebay etc.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 147 Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Neil Choi

Quote from: John Hanslow on December 05, 2012, 08:36:34 AM
From what I have heard (various opinions) Merc SLs are referred to in the trade as 'rattle and hum' and MG are the leaders in scuttle shake ! 

John, if the Merc and MG are that bad, what about SAAB 900 and 9-3 convertibles, I think they have the torsional rigidity of a strap of liquorice.

ALFAAA

Hey john,
Congratulations on your new car/spider. ;)
Great toy and you will have lots of fun.
Current :2004 916 V6 3.2 Spider (baby)
             :Alfetta GTV6 1984 3.2 24v
             :2024 Tonale Veloce SUV

Past       :Alfetta GTV  1977
             :147 Selespeed 2002

John Hanslow

Weichers Strur Brace ordered and really looking forward to seeing how it improves the car.

On tthe EMR last weekend, drove it over a range of roads and driving conditions across from Melbourne to Maldon (via Castlemain and environs).

The car performed well and really stuck to the road.  I actually noticed that after getting the wheels balance and the car aligned really made it a lot smoother on the road.  Even now, I do not notice the scuttleshake as much.

Cheers
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 147 Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Cool Jesus

Make sure you post a review with photos on the brace. I'd be interested in reading your thoughts.  Did you go for bracing front and rear or just the front between the shock towers?
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

colcol

I think with a convertable you would want to brace underneath the car to make up for the missing roof,  do you really get much flex through the tops of the struts, after all if it was flexing so much as some advertisers would have you beleive, then with all the movement, the metal would eventually fatigue and crack......like the front rails in Suds and 33's, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Cool Jesus

Your right about the metal fatigue Col, I've read that it can eventually lead to this. However under normally daily driving this isn't an issue, it becomes more apparent during track work where the chassis is being placed under greater and more regular constant strains and G forces. Really, strut and chassis bracing are a modification borne from motor racing and as the general motor heads that we secretly are by placing this aftermarket race hardware on our rides, we like to believe that we have those same beasts in our garage as our daily rides. Evenso, there are reputable retailers, alfa mechs and owners themselves that do claim a noticable difference in a positive way. Even if it just makes handles better, why not enjoy the drive that little bit more.

Ultra Racing (USA based I think?) has bracing for more than just the struts, so it comes down to how far, if at all, you need to go with bracing the chassis. I can certainly say that my Spider rattles and squeeks a little too much for my liking, but I think panel and door alignment may have some culpability here. But I'm certainly keen to hear John's thoughts on the install.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS