HOW TO - GTV/Spider 916 series body panel alignment

Started by Cool Jesus, December 21, 2012, 03:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cool Jesus

Troops, just wanted to start a thread on this aspect of the 916 Alfas as its been bugging me a little and there doesn't seem to be too much talk about it out there.

I guess what I'm asking is, what should the gaps be? Is it an aesthetic opinion as far as what looks best and equal for your particular vehicle. I'm aware that there are particular gaps and measurements for the GTV around the window, having a solid roof. I'm more concerned with the Spider, however this also relates to the GTV . I'll soon have some me time with the Spider and I was going to sort out the gaps as the windows aren't closing properly and the bonnet doesn't look quite right. How should I go about it?
Start with the doors first and work my way out?

Oh yeah, the wind shield wipers, can they be lifted off the windscreen for replacing blades and washing the car as you can with most cars or is this just Pininfarina's idea of having a laugh? as I can't lift mine at all, bonnet up or down (we'll maybe 10-20mm just enough for wiper replacement). >:(
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

agent86

Hi Cool,
            My GTV wipers lift to a straight ahead angle but only with the bonnet open. Slight scratches where others have tried to lift wipers for cleaning the screen etc. If I can help with gaps let me know cos my baby has only 74k on the clock and seems pretty good, just slight wind noise at drivers window.
Cheers 86
Current Alfa's/etc
1998 GTV 3.0 V6 Tropical Green
2003 BMW 320i Touring
Priors
1974 Piper Yellow Berlina 2000 
1970 Red Berlina 1750 won best Alfa sedan at 2007 Auto Italia ACT
1968 Burgundy Berlina Mk1
1970 Navy Berlina
1970 White Berlina
1968 White Berlina Mk1 full Webasto roof

Cool Jesus

Once I get started on the alignment I'll put the call out. I did think it was odd that the wipers wouldn't lift, I'm assuming the bonnet isn't quite right. Actually the bonnet seems to have been rubbing on the arm of the driver's wiper. I'll figure out eventually whats going on there, it appears there must be vibration or something going on whilst driving as there's no contact when stopped.

Actually Maxwell, I have read in UK forums that there is a querk of Italian nature with these models. The rear bumper, can't recall which side, however one side seems to stick out a little more then the other for some reason. When I read it, I had a look at mine and yeah it did do that, but I was able to just shove it back in and secure it again. Looked good to me? Is your rear in good shape :P

Once I get started I'll fill the thread with photos and relevant sections from the workshop manuals with respect to body panel alignment. Hopefully we'll get some input to see what the general consesus is on gap sizing.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

agent86

Hi Cool,
            I just checked my rear bumper and yes at the top near the rear side panel mid point the passenger side sits out at about 10mm and on the drivers side about 5mm. No ammount of pushing will move it but after not noticing for five years I guess I can live with it.
Cheers 86
Current Alfa's/etc
1998 GTV 3.0 V6 Tropical Green
2003 BMW 320i Touring
Priors
1974 Piper Yellow Berlina 2000 
1970 Red Berlina 1750 won best Alfa sedan at 2007 Auto Italia ACT
1968 Burgundy Berlina Mk1
1970 Navy Berlina
1970 White Berlina
1968 White Berlina Mk1 full Webasto roof