SPARK PLUG GAP

Started by johnnyc, January 02, 2013, 12:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyc

Hi,

Happy New Year to all.

I am running NGK BP7ES plugs in my 3.0.

When it comes to gapping some (on various forums) have suggested you just throw them in straight out of the box (depending on the plug) , whilst others have suggested they be gapped @ 0.75mm.

what are your thoughts/ what do you do?

cheers

john

Mick A

Hi,

Just put them straight in from the box.

Cheers.

scott.venables

Standard gap for NGK plugs is 0.8mm.  If they have a 2 number suffix on the part number, they are other than 0.8.  eg BP7ES-11 has a 1.1mm gap. No suffix means 0.8mm. 

Scott

johnnyc

thanks for your responses.

Al Campbell

Last time I brought a seat of plugs (about 12 months ago) , I asked if they had a gap adjusting tool. Basically a plate with a notch in the end that you slide over the side of the prong to bend it up or down gently.

The man said that adjusting spark-plug gaps is an old requirement and that they are made with the right gap these days.

But... whenever I've checked, there always seems to be a couple in a set of 6 that aren't quiet right, but maybe that's just me.

AL.

Beatle

If you have the means to do so, why on earth would you NOT check the gaps?    Takes but a second and you lose nothing if none require adjustment.  But what if you just fit them and one/some are incorrectly gapped?
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd