Is there any difference between a manual or selespeed transmission

Started by Cool Jesus, January 06, 2013, 11:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cool Jesus

Just wanted to pose the question out there for those few knowledgable Alfisti amongst us. I've just about finished tearing down all the parts from the 147 wreck which was attached to the petrol cap that I was actually looking for  ::)
The wreck is a selespeed and I have a manual for my daughter as her daily driver. I couldn't help but think the other day when I was gazing into the near empty engine bay, damn the selespeed transmission looks very similar to my daughters manual gearbox. I then realised that it still has a clutch and gear selector lever, the selespeed actuator really is just an auto clutch pedal and gear selector.

The reason I'm asking is that the wreck is said to have only travelled 23000km, (I'll be submitting an FOI request with RTA to verify mileage) I was going to sell off the gearbox, however if it really is just a manual gearbox in disguise, I'll stow it away as a spare. Apart from an extra lug hole here and there, omitting the extra ancillaries like the actuator, accumulator, pump, selespeed gear stick, selespeed steering padles, etc, etc... is the gearbox really just that, a manual gear box?

Any thoughts?
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

John Hanslow

from someone not mechanically minded, I was told that the selespeed is a manual car with a robotic clutch which is the actuator.

Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Steve S

The selespeed gearbox is essentially a manual gearbox and it is of the same type/series as the normal manual gearbox. I would assume the internals would be near identical except for maybe some ratios. I have no idea how plauseable it would be to convert to manual though. I suspect there will be some external differences which would need converting to manual spec, at a guess the clutch fork and slave mount and selector cable connections at least. I would probably just sell the Selespeed, its got to be worth good money. Manual gearboxes are reliable and not difficult to repair etc.

Cool Jesus

I thought that would be the case JH, well it certainly looks that way. I'll confirm once I have the box out and can compare it to the actual gear box on my running 147. But at a glance, the selector is there and the clutch fork as well along with mounting holes for slave cylinder and gear change forks etc.
Even so, from what I've seen the manual box is strong as Steve mentioned, so may be a better option to sell off. Especially if I can confirm its mileage.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Mr156_2.0

I know that the clutch is different. Try and buy one and you will figure this out quick smart and the slave cylinder hoses are different. Apart from that I have never pulled a selespeed apart. Mine is a manual.
"Alfa build cars to be the best a car can be......briefly" Jeremy Clarkson Top Gear.

Meng

from memory, wankski mentioned that they were different clutches, so not a direct replacement for a manual tranny, though there are probably a stack of shared components.  But keen the entire unit, there'll be someone looking for a sele tranny replacement....
Alfa Romeo 156 GTA 3.2 V6

Cool Jesus

Well the transmission is on gumtree for only $800, thought this was a fair price to simply get rid of it. Have seen them for over $1K, if I do confirm its mileage I will definitely ask for more though. Ended up deciding to keep the motor as its to good to let go having only travelled 23K kms. Had an indi mechanic in Wollongong keen on the tranny, unfortunately he was hopeful it would suit a GTA replacement. As expected, I haven't heard back from him. The parts will eventual go, it's just a matter of when someone needs them.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Meng

GTA sele is different from the run of mill sele, which is good for you - many more regular seles out there that may need a spare gearbox.
Alfa Romeo 156 GTA 3.2 V6

ANG156

I have heard that first and second gear are different. You would need to confirm it.An easy to confirm it would be to use eper and compare part numbers for the gears.