Spider electrical problems

Started by Mnolan, January 07, 2013, 04:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mnolan

Hi, I have a 1999 spider T Spark, I have just replaced the battery and have had nothing but trouble, radio won't work or the cigarette lighter, central locking won't go, and I don't think the immobiliser is working, it doesn't make that usual beep noise when I switch it off. Now today I put the roof down and it won't go back up. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Also I live in Canberra if anyone knows of someone good with this please let me know. Would like to see if there is someone other than the dealers in Fyshwick.

colcol

Check all connections around the battery, and there are many, check all fuses and circuit breakers fo cleanliness and to see if they are spent or burnt out, make sure the earth wire is connected and clean, have a look inside the car at the fusebox, radio may not be going due to you having to put a code in it when you disconnect the battery as it thinks it has been stolen, did you fit the battery yourself or did someone fit it, if it was someone else, take it back and tell them the issues that have cropped up, sounds a like something simple has gone wrong, all works - change battery - now problems, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Cool Jesus

As Col says, also don't forget the little bank of fuses and or relays hidden at the battery. They're attached to the battery holder and may have been knocked out of contact? When I cleaned up my battery terminals and tray I was surprised to find them there out of the way. It didn't help that whoever replaced the battery used one with the terminals back the front, made things more difficult than they needed to be.
In any case a simple battery change shouldn't produce such issues, the only caution with a battery change is to not have the ignition key in place.
I also have the same roof issues, when was the oil level last checked in the roof motor reservoir? Wouldn't hurt to renew otherwise, it only takes about 600 ml.
Is the alarm aftermarket or Alfa installed? I'm assuming an alarm as the Alfa immobiliser doesn't chirp.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Mnolan

Thanks guys,  problem fixed, computer needed to be reset and leaking hydraulics.