Aftermarket Cruise Control on a Transaxle RWD

Started by Beatle, January 23, 2013, 09:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatle

The AP60 will disconnect with a certain percentage over or under-rev.  I think it's about 15%.  But if the engine is labouring slightly uphill trying to maintain speed (throttle pulled open) and you hit the clutch, you can rev the engine pretty hard.

I always strive to fit a clutch switch, but as you say Colin, it's not a dealbreaker.  In my 4WDs I like to have a clutch switch as I often dab the clutch pedal to disconnect the CC rather than use the brake pedal. I adjust the switch so it activates in forst couple of MMs of pedal travel, and usually prior to the throwout bearing being contacted.   In some cases the CC has switched off when I've hit a big bump and the pedal has bounced......   Using the clutch pedal to disconnect keeps the brake lights from illuminating and upsetting those travelling behind, and also allows me to keep the right foot on the throttle to better and more smoothly match road speed when the CC disconnects.  Also saves having to drop your eyes off the road looking forthe small CC dosconnect switch.

On the AP60 you don't need to 'tell' it if it's auto or manual.  There are a couple of spare wires/sockets in the brain and you just wire the clutch swith in series.  As with the brake circuit, the brain is simply looking for a switch closed condition to make the circuit and disconnect the cruise.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Al Campbell

I did have a couple of dopy half asleep moments using cruise in my manual VN whilst going up hill, the engine started to lug so I went to change gears. :o Wakes you up pretty damned quick. Only diod it twice during years of use. And the VN already had a mounting point on the clutch pedal mount for a "brake light" switch.

AP50 ($100 from K-MART years ago) didn't have an "automatic" choice/function. Going to put it in the GTV6, thought the clutch switch was a good idea. Hardest part of the job, probably wouldn't bother a second time. I only put the cruise in the ALFA to help calibrate the speedo after replacing the needle and installing a Jaycar speedo corrector.

AL

aggie57

Actually, from a slightly different angle the speed limiter on Mercedes and Renault's removes most of the requirement for a cruise control.  I had a C-class Merc for 6 years, 100,000kms, and the only times I ever used the cruise was on long open roads like the Newell or Hume. 

In all other situations you set the limiter to the speed you are happy with and rest your right foot on the pedal.  If you brake and then accelerate again then the car simply stops accelerating at the set limit.  Great around town, in school zones, and in traffic that is traveling at variable speeds. 

If you want to go over the set speed a quick dab of the accelerator past the kick-down releases the limit, and then a flick of the control sets it again.  Never could understand why its not mandatory other than it actually helps you drive at legal speeds rather than fining you for exceeding them.  ::)

Oh - clutch switch much more important in a car with light weight flywheel.  Plus no need to think about it; any change like clutch, brake or accidental gearshift should switch the CC off.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

colcol

Alfa 33 has a rev cut out in the rotor button, the minute you go to 6800, it will stop spark to the spark plugs, never used clutch switch on Cruise Control, something i don't need, and something more to go wrong 3 hours from home, so i can't fix it, i think Cruise Controls are fabulous in states like speed camera infested Victoria, all car makers in Australia fit Cruises as standard equipment now, even the cheap Korean cars have them now, a real neccesity in a car like an older Alfa Romeo with the pedal setup, that forces funny angles on your limbs, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]