for when im due for a mid life crisis

Started by Mr156_2.0, January 31, 2013, 02:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr156_2.0

hi all,

my wife and i have agreed that when i am ready for my mid life crisis ( am only 28 ) i will probably come home with a 1970's italian sports car.
my wife has agreed not to divorce me if i do. so how do we rate the Montreal? looks hot and i do like the interior.

im after a car that is not very poppular. i mean that there wont be many around. so obviously im not after a ferrari 308
"Alfa build cars to be the best a car can be......briefly" Jeremy Clarkson Top Gear.

Davidm1600

Mate you have hit the jackpot, payday etc etc.  Lucky bugger.  and at the ripe young age of 28 !!  Go for it if you can and can manage the folding stuff/readies/lucra to purchase said "young age mid life crisis sports car" 

Monty's are not that cheap to purchase or possibly maintain and are also relatively rare on the market place, here in Aus, let alone most places around the world. But, they can be found if really that is what you want.

Otherwise the car world is your oyster in terms of choice.  Do you have any idea re budget, makes interested in, or what exactly you might be thinking of beyond nothing too popular ?  I think in terms of the last part that at least can exclude the usual range of Japanese turbo terriors !  Enjoy this chance in your life.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

massiveluvbuddy67

Ahhh, decisions...a  Monty may disappoint unless apporpriate due diligence is undertaken. Know what you are getting into. Drive a couple. Chaps in the clubs will be very forthcoming about foibles and delights.

The range of cars abilities and availability for 70s cars varies greatly.

In my opinion, a 105 coupe was such an amazing car for its era. Along with a Porsche of that period, light years ahead of the opposition, IMHO. Would you be OK if a 1750 whipped past your Monty and you could not keep up? A Monty is more about style, artwork, Gandini and exclusivity.

If you are thinking Monty, get the best one you can find. Whilst searching buy both of Bruce Taylor's books and study religiously. If in Mellbourne, get to know George Bettiol and Gary Pearce very well. They will help.

Mr156_2.0

thanks guys. i was thinking about the Monty. im not looking for a speed demon, im looking for a 8 cylinder italian sports car that i can cruise around in and polish on the weekends. im after that alfa romeo nostalgia. i own a 156 series 1 twin spark and a alfa sud 1981 ti green cloverleaf, love the marque and want to stay with it.
"Alfa build cars to be the best a car can be......briefly" Jeremy Clarkson Top Gear.

massiveluvbuddy67

good...welcome and enjoy...happy to help. Come on an EMR there will likely be a Monty there. Doug Gould is also another technically minded, expereinced and dedicated Monty owner in Melbourne.