Ferrari to help Alfa Romeo on engines, Marchionne says

Started by Evan Bottcher, February 01, 2013, 10:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130130/COPY01/301309649/ferrari-to-help-alfa-romeo-on-engines-marchionne-says&cciid=email-autonews-daily#axzz2JVdoQvB9

QuoteTURIN, Italy -- Fiat SpA will announce within a month a technical cooperation between its Ferrari and Maserati subsidiaries on engine work aimed at rebuilding the Alfa Romeo brand.

"Ferrari will take a more active role in engine development for Alfa, similar to what Ferrari already did for Maserati," Fiat-Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said Wednesday in a call with analysts.

Marchionne added that "engines worth wearing the Alfa badge" remain the biggest issue he is facing in reviving the sports-car brand.

After struggling for years to relaunch Alfa, Marchionne in November announced a new plan, calling for nine new-model introductions from 2013 through 2016. He hopes to triple Alfa sales to 300,000 units annually in 2016, from about 100,000 last year.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Paul Gulliver

Evan, we all live in hope and have heard variations on this theme for many years. Seeing will be believing. 

Gully
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Evan Bottcher

I didn't think there was much to complain about in the current run of Fiat four-cylinder motors. By all accounts the 1750 TBI is a solid performer...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Alfamania

Alfa GT 3.2
Maserati Gransport
Alfa 75 V6 3.0
BMW 318i e36
Saab 9000cs
Mazda Rx7 13B Extend port -Turbo
Ford XE ESP 5.8
Mazda RX-4 Coupe 13B Extend Port

Paul Gulliver

QuoteI didn't think there was much to complain about in the current run of Fiat four-cylinder motors. By all accounts the 1750 TBI is a solid performer

Neither do i but its getting to the stage where they are going to have to start delivering.  1000 sales in Australia last year and only 100,000 globally just doesn't cut the mustard. Hate saying it but if Fiat can't get "the wheels back on Alfa Romeo" , bring on VW ownership of Alfa. 
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

colcol

Fiat have mismanaged Alfa Romeo now for 27 years, now that they have got through their trial period, how much longer do they want?, in the boom times of Alfa Romeo in 1985 they sold lots more cars, that was despite their finacial woes, one of their more popular cars the 159, out of production last year and still no replacement, how bad can it get?, 1,000 cars in Australia last year and 100,000 worldwide, thats heading towards SAAB teritory, and they are mucking around with new four wheel drives, which they have missed the boat and a 4C that they have been talking about for years, but still nothing and the new Spider that is going to be built by Mazda, ARNA anyone?, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Duk

Quote from: colcol on February 02, 2013, 12:17:54 PM
and the new Spider that is going to be built by Mazda, ARNA anyone?, Colin.

Why do people always draw reference to the failed ARNA when talking about the potential for the new Alfa Spider to be built by Mazda?
Are people that bias that they can't accept that the MX5 has been a massive success for Mazda with a huge world following for a very long time now?
Isn't that what Alfa Romeo need, sales success and loyal following?
Are people truly that ignorant that they think that the Japanese can't build a true sports car?

Brad M

Quote from: Duk on February 02, 2013, 02:00:06 PM
Quote from: colcol on February 02, 2013, 12:17:54 PM
and the new Spider that is going to be built by Mazda, ARNA anyone?, Colin.

Why do people always draw reference to the failed ARNA when talking about the potential for the new Alfa Spider to be built by Mazda?
Are people that bias that they can't accept that the MX5 has been a massive success for Mazda with a huge world following for a very long time now?
Isn't that what Alfa Romeo need, sales success and loyal following?
Are people truly that ignorant that they think that the Japanese can't build a true sports car?

Right on Duk!  Totally agree with your sentiment, I expect the new Spider be better than the last 2 versions we have had.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

GTV-074

I don't care who they "share" cars with.... just start getting some new product out there!

Mazda is a fine partner to develop a car with and it we can only hope some of the "brand trust" that people have with the likes of Toyota, Honda, Mazda
can rub off onto our fine marque.

Alfa needs to sort itself out pretty quickly or it will go the way of Lancia and others, relegated to the pages of history and museums.

Cheers,

Paul.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

colcol

Sorry to give you the impression i don't like Mazda MX-5's, i do, i reckon they are a no B.S. sports car, but it will always be a Mazda with an Alfa badge, and as for Ferrari helping Alfa Romeo on engines, Alfa Romeo were making twin cam engines when Enzo was in short pants, it will most likely be a cynical stunt with a badge on the engine cover, saying "developed by Ferrari" on one of their latest Chrysler motors, the last of the 159 had fantastic motors, the 1750 TBI and the ripper 2.4 5 cylinder Diesel motor, both built in Italy, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

1750GTV

I thought that Ferrari/Maserati were already building engines for AR in the 8C Competizione.

Either way, modern Alfas boil down to being 'tricked-up' Fiats and that is a big part of their current global problem. They no longer stand apart as a brand.

Chris
1957 Giulietta Spider (750D)
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

Duk

Quote from: colcol on February 02, 2013, 09:13:08 PM
Sorry to give you the impression i don't like Mazda MX-5's, i do, i reckon they are a no B.S. sports car, but it will always be a Mazda with an Alfa badge, and as for Ferrari helping Alfa Romeo on engines, Alfa Romeo were making twin cam engines when Enzo was in short pants, it will most likely be a cynical stunt with a badge on the engine cover, saying "developed by Ferrari" on one of their latest Chrysler motors, the last of the 159 had fantastic motors, the 1750 TBI and the ripper 2.4 5 cylinder Diesel motor, both built in Italy, Colin.

So is a rebadged or maybe rebodied Mazda any different to a rebodied FIAT?
Given what has come from Alfa Romeo in the last 20+ years, I'd welcome a rebodied Mazda based Alfa 'cause they haven't churned out anything that I aspire to own.
Actually, I'd like to see the old Mazda FC3S (Series 6-8) RX7 chassis resurrected with a V6 (but who's?) under the bonnet and an Italian styling house body on it (can you say Pininfarina?).
But even if they did something like that, it'd be over priced.

ALFAAA

Hey Duk,

I own a 2004 V6 3.2 Spider and I would say its a great car,
Goes like a rocket, handles and brakes like a dream , and looks the part. :)

Some of the cars that Fiat had released in the last 20 years are really not that bad.
From the 147 / 156 european car of the year ,with all the GTA models.. ;)

Current :2004 916 V6 3.2 Spider (baby)
             :Alfetta GTV6 1984 3.2 24v
             :2024 Tonale Veloce SUV

Past       :Alfetta GTV  1977
             :147 Selespeed 2002

Duk

Quote from: ALFAAA on February 04, 2013, 02:35:46 PM
Hey Duk,

I own a 2004 V6 3.2 Spider and I would say its a great car,
Goes like a rocket, handles and brakes like a dream , and looks the part. :)

Some of the cars that Fiat had released in the last 20 years are really not that bad.
From the 147 / 156 european car of the year ,with all the GTA models.. ;)

I'm not saying that they are bad cars, I just don't call a powerful front wheel drive a true sports car.
And to me, it doesn't matter what diff or stability control system you put in 1, they are fundamentally a poor compromise. The front tyres are doing all of the hard work, the rear wheels don't even get to offer much in the braking department, plus the engine and transaxle are located forward of the front axle line, exacerbating the problems.

Give me a nice, clean, correctly engineered rear wheel drive sports car, where the working load is spread out over all 4 of the tyres as evenly as possible. With a light, rigid chassis, with the major masses positioned as centrally and as low as possible, sweet suspension geometry, spring rates and dampers to suit.
Then we have the DNA of a true sports car.  8)

alfagtv58

Quote from: Duk on February 04, 2013, 02:44:33 PM
Give me a nice, clean, correctly engineered rear wheel drive sports car, where the working load is spread out over all 4 of the tyres as evenly as possible. With a light, rigid chassis, with the major masses positioned as centrally and as low as possible, sweet suspension geometry, spring rates and dampers to suit.
Then we have the DNA of a true sports car.  8)

So you want the 4C then.....me too.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti