Alfa 75

Started by Bone356, February 18, 2013, 04:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bone356

Thanks guys, good info thank you! Yep any Alfa I buy will always get the Hugh evaluation before parting with cash. So now to sell the Sti and once I have monies in the hand I'll make a decision, my only worry is size factor.

Joe Falcone

Hi Simon
owned quite e few of these cars and am a big fan of the 2.0 litre twin spark as a daily drive family car. Grunt, air con, fuel tank size and refined interior are the trade offs but economy and the huge boot might win you over. The sixes tend to develop leaks, can get smoky and use engine oil.
The twin spark is a lot lighter and better balanced too, the sixes are nose heavy. Either way id never sit on the fence and get a 2.5. And finally just for the record the twin spark is more fun to throw around the track and in standard form times are the same too. Not sure how much of this is relevant to your situation but recommend you have a close look at a twin spark before making your purchase.
Ciao Joe
1979 Alfetta GTV
1991 75 3.0 QV (potenziata)
2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio
2021 Stelvio Veloce

Joe Falcone

forgot to mention no cambelt to worry about
1979 Alfetta GTV
1991 75 3.0 QV (potenziata)
2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio
2021 Stelvio Veloce

Duk

While obviously getting a bit off topic, I think adding a well sized turbo to the TS engine would make the car an excellent all round machine.
Grunt and drivability in a better balanced package. It would never sing the V6 engine's song, though.

Just a few notes on the balance between the 4 and later V6's.
Most will know that the impact absorbing bumper bars are quite heavy (17.5kg's from memory) and these are going to have a very negative effect on the turn in response of the car, because they act like the proverbial lead tipped arrow. IE: You can't get that weight any further forward.
Secondly, the 4's and 6's used the same torsion bars sizes: 22.8mm. So while Alfa Romeo were adding more and more weight, they never added anymore spring rate to the car, so the V6's, especially the 3 litres (the 2.5's didn't have the impact absorbing 'bars) are effectively softer sprung than the 4's. The V6's have a lower natural frequency for their front suspension than the 4's.
So adding more spring rate to the front suspension and removing weight from the very front of the car (lighter 'bars and moving the battery to the boot) will help bring the balance difference between the 4's and the V6's much closer together.
There are quite a few things that can be done to improve the front suspensions behavior, but some people like standard cars and some people like modified cars.

redsky

Whichever 75 you get i'm sure you won't regret it if you find the right car. I've been wrapped with the Twin Spark i got a couple of years ago.  Comfortable, nimble, quick, great exhaust note and cold air con. Very economical too, yet fun at track days.
The most unexpected & practical aspect to the car is the 500 litre boot. Just amazing for a car this size.
Never thought I'd have an Alfa, but glad I do now. Have fun shopping for the 75.

Cheers Darren

Bone356

Again thank you, for all your comments positive stuff, If I do go down the Alfa route I think it will be a 3 litre just because it's a V6 and I haven't had one before!

Evan Bottcher

That is a _very_ good reason.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal