Alfa Romeo 4 C

Started by colcol, February 10, 2013, 04:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

From the AGE Drive liftout, written by David Mc Cowen, 9-2-2013,
Alfa Romeo is putting the finishing touches on its exciting 4C coupe before it makes its debut at the Geneva motor show in March. The Italian Manufacturer's new baby sports car was caught being tested this week outside a top secret testing faclility in Italy. The mid-engined, rear wheel drive 4C is a critical car for the iconic Italian brand - it will provide Alfa with its first 2 door coupe since the Brera was discontinued in 2010. It also spearheads the brand's long awaited return to the US, taking on such competitors as the Porsche Cayman, Audi TT and Lotus Exige. Alfa Romeo has confirmed that the 4C will be available in Australia, though it won't be on sale here until 2014. The 4C is based on a carbon fibre monocoque-similar to those used on the McClaren 12C and Lamborghini Aventador- and is tipped to weigh less than 900 kilograms. The lightweight tub has been developed by Italian car racing firm Dallara and is based on the one used in the hard core KTM X bow. It will be powered by a new version of the turbo charged 4 cylinder from the Guillietta QV, with the output pushed to 180kw, giving it a power to weight ratio similar to a Porsche 911 turbo. With a lightning quick dual clutch gearbox it will reach 100 kmh in about 4 seconds. The 4C will be built in limited numbers by Maserati in Modena with Ferrari said to be helping with the engine chassis tuning. The latest going around is that Alfa are planning a track focussed Stradale version with a race prepared cockpit and even more power. Pricing for the 4C has not been announced, but it is expected to cost about $120,000 in Australia, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

kartone

Performance diehards will probably choose a Lotus Exige.
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

Duk

So the 4C is a Dallara/Alfa chassis rather than being built on the KTM Longbow chassis as suggested by others on the AlfaBB?

Had to LOL at the "it will provide Alfa with its first 2 door coupe since the Brera.............." 'cause the door count is the important part  ::).

Shoulda read "It will be Alfa Romeo's first real sports car since the demise of the Alfetta GTV in (when ever the Alfetta GTV was canned) and the first mid-engine Alfa since the 33 Stradale..............."

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: kartone on February 10, 2013, 04:53:55 PM
Performance diehards will probably choose a Lotus Exige.

No-one in the last twenty years has bought a new Alfa for outright performance, reliability, or value for money.  For at least that long Alfa buyers have been led by their hearts (either brand loyalty or buying for a different look), not by list of specifications or logic.  Can't see why it'll be any different with this model.

An interesting spy photo of the interior: http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost.aspx?post=e1d2dab2-3345-431f-8058-1d0168767705
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Torbjorn

Have a great Alfaday :)

Evan Bottcher

Some more information has been released, and some new official renderings ahead of the Geneva motorshow:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/geneva-motor-show-2013/alfa-romeo-4c-set-geneva-show-debut

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

You can faceplant/tweet on the Alfa Romeo 'social netwall' (english translation at the bottom):

http://www.socialnetwall.alfaromeo.com/c/alfa-romeo-4c/anteprima-mondiale-/31325
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

John Hanslow

Many updates in the auto news today and just found this on the Alfa Romeo website.

http://www.alfaromeo.com/com/#/alfa-world/alfa-news/2013/167

Note that it now has a DNA plus R for race mode. 

At last we have some up to date facts.

Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

alfagtv58

Should fit in nicely in the AROCA Vic 'Standard Class' ;D
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Evan Bottcher

A new marketing micro-site: http://4c.alfaromeo.com/

Not much up there right now, apart from the photos you've already seen and a ticking clock...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Luna Rossa

That's a disturbing comment about the price estimate Colin considering that I've read from various internet sources that the expected price in the USA will be approximately US $60K and in the UK 40K pound.

Given the current exchange rate of the AU $ im finding it hard to make it add up to $120K

As if I'll be in the market  :'( :'(

Current Cars
2013 Giulietta
1970 GT Veloce
1963 2600 Sprint

Past
1970 GT Junior 1300
2009 159 2.2 Litre JTS Ti

branko.gt

Quote from: Luna Rossa on February 14, 2013, 12:08:53 AM
That's a disturbing comment about the price estimate Colin considering that I've read from various internet sources that the expected price in the USA will be approximately US $60K and in the UK 40K pound.

Given the current exchange rate of the AU $ im finding it hard to make it add up to $120K

it is the local taxes and other charges that help the addition ...

BTW the UK price was more like 50k apparently, in UK that is Porker Cayman pricing territory. Locally new base model  Cayman is 115k ....
Alfa will probably make sure that the local pricing is closely matched to the competition

dehne

That means buy it overseas and import it, wish I could Pre purchase one now and start to pay it off
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

aggie57

Quote from: Branko Turk on February 14, 2013, 07:57:32 AM
Quote from: Luna Rossa on February 14, 2013, 12:08:53 AM

it is the local taxes and other charges that help the addition ...

BTW the UK price was more like 50k apparently, in UK that is Porker Cayman pricing territory. Locally new base model  Cayman is 115k ....
Alfa will probably make sure that the local pricing is closely matched to the competition

The latest Boxster is an amazingly capable and well built car.  The 4C looks tremendous but it would struggle to compete with a Boxster with that drive train.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

branko.gt

Quote from: aggie57 on February 14, 2013, 12:27:45 PM
... with that drive train.

what exactly do you mean ?
it is supposed to be quicker that Boxter. Not quite as much power but CF tub for chassis and 300 odd kg lighter ...