Alfa Romeo 4 C

Started by colcol, February 10, 2013, 04:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aggie57

Quote from: Branko Turk on February 14, 2013, 02:36:21 PM
Quote from: aggie57 on February 14, 2013, 12:27:45 PM
... with that drive train.

what exactly do you mean ?
it is supposed to be quicker that Boxter. Not quite as much power but CF tub for chassis and 300 odd kg lighter ...

So you've never owned a flat 6 Porsche?  Outright speed is not the question. 
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

branko.gt

Quote from: aggie57 on February 14, 2013, 05:04:32 PM

it is supposed to be quicker that Boxter. Not quite as much power but CF tub for chassis and 300 odd kg lighter ...

i have not had or even driven either so essentially i am talking through my arse, but,
i did say quicker not faster, as in it should accelerate better, also 300kg less in a stiff chassis SHOULD make for a nimble well behaved car ....
i certainly hope so...
i personally do not care how it compares to porker but i would like to see it be a real and successful competition in the marker ..
the shame about about the boxter is that despite its well publicised qualities as an awesome and capable car it is only driven by those that cannot afford 911 and hairdressers ...  :D

are you sure you are on the right forum with those traitor like sentiments ...   :P

aggie57

Quote from: Branko Turk on February 14, 2013, 05:25:20 PM

i have not had or even driven either so essentially i am talking through my arse, but,
i did say quicker not faster, as in it should accelerate better, also 300kg less in a stiff chassis SHOULD make for a nimble well behaved car ....
i certainly hope so...
i personally do not care how it compares to porker but i would like to see it be a real and successful competition in the marker ..
the shame about about the boxter is that despite its well publicised qualities as an awesome and capable car it is only driven by those that cannot afford 911 and hairdressers ...  :D

are you sure you are on the right forum with those traitor like sentiments ...   :P

lol!  Of course I'm in the right place Branko.  The 4C looks awesome but $120k is a silly price for it.  You can buy a run out E90 M3 for close to that can you not?
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM

Sheldon McIntosh

Bloody arrogant Porsche owners.....   ;)   Sounds a bit like the argument about whether the 944 was a better car than the GTV6, since one had a 6, the other a 4.  But I won't go there.

Quote from: aggie57 on February 14, 2013, 05:58:58 PM
The 4C looks awesome but $120k is a silly price for it.

This, however, I do agree with.  It seems to me like the 4C's natural competitor is a Lotus Elise SC.  Similar weight, similar powertrain, similar power (assuming the 4C is released with over 200bhp), similar philosophy and target market (we can only hope).  The Lotus may be a few years old now, but it's a proven performer.  The Lotus is available new for well under $100k.  I think the 4C needs to be at a similar price point. 

I think they'll be shooting themselves in the foot if they put it up against the Boxster or Cayman (unless they can turn that engine up to about 250bhp, with handling to match - only then will it succeed in that market).  They need a 'halo' car to ingratiate themselves with the car fans again.  They need to make this car an extremely good one, and they need to price it well.  I, for one, don't have high hopes going on the last few years of Alfa history, but I hope I'm proven wrong.

Flame-proof pantaloons attached, asbestos gloves on, feel free to disagree with me.

Duk

Quote from: Sheldon McIntosh on February 14, 2013, 06:15:56 PM
This, however, I do agree with.  It seems to me like the 4C's natural competitor is a Lotus Elise SC.  Similar weight, similar powertrain, similar power (assuming the 4C is released with over 200bhp), similar philosophy and target market (we can only hope).  The Lotus may be a few years old now, but it's a proven performer.  The Lotus is available new for well under $100k.  I think the 4C needs to be at a similar price point. 

I think they'll be shooting themselves in the foot if they put it up against the Boxster or Cayman (unless they can turn that engine up to about 250bhp, with handling to match - only then will it succeed in that market).  They need a 'halo' car to ingratiate themselves with the car fans again.  They need to make this car an extremely good one, and they need to price it well.  I, for one, don't have high hopes going on the last few years of Alfa history, but I hope I'm proven wrong.

Flame-proof pantaloons attached, asbestos gloves on, feel free to disagree with me.

I think you're on the money, Sheldon!
If you want too enter a market that is occupied by a similar car that is already successful, then you'd better be doing just as good a job and at a similar price if you want to compete.
Given that the 4C hasn't established anything yet and given the inherent overpricing of Alfa's in the past, I'd like to be proven wrong too.
For my mind, Alfa Romeo must deliver substance rather than just looks. If they screw up the 4C, and given what some had said about the 8C, they'd better do a better job of it, then I think (what's left of) their credibility will be all gone.
Unfortunately I think they'll spend too much on style and superfluous, unnecessary crap. What's the bet that the 4C will rock up with an enormous set of (probably Brembo) brakes that the car won't need, that would add an easy $5 -10k to the purchase price?

I want to see the 4C be a huge success for Alfa Romeo. I really do!! But their track record has been so pathetic  :'(.
For too long they have gone without a true sports car, but for too long, they have been delivering cars that I would never aspire to own. And at these projected prices, I think all they are doing is putting a pool cue in a pencil sharpener, watering down the excrement (from the marketing people) and placing it at the bottom of a steep incline....................  :(

Evan Bottcher

I think it's wise to keep your expectations low for this car, like an over-hyped movie it can only disappoint.  It will almost certainly be overpriced and dynamically flawed compared to the experienced competition.  They only plan to make small-ish numbers, and it will sell moderately well to people who want an alternative option with a bit of flair.

But damn I hope I'm wrong, that it's keenly priced and a brilliant drive that sells like hotcakes...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

nath

Just heard that the $120k figure might be a bit higher than what it will actually cost so if it is in the sub $100k territory that might prove interesting.

Brad M

A Stradale version with more power would make more sense at that 120k price point.

Fiat ... please see the natural competitor of the 4C as being Lotus Elise/Exige and price accordingly.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

branko.gt

Quote from: aggie57 on February 14, 2013, 05:58:58 PM

lol!  Of course I'm in the right place Branko.  The 4C looks awesome but $120k is a silly price for it.  You can buy a run out E90 M3 for close to that can you not?

first of all, the M3 is my wife's car, not mine ! so that we clear ! 

and offcourse you are in the right forum, complaining about price of Alfas together with everyone else ::)

do your  Porker friends complain about the price as much as we Alfa people do ?   

Sportscar Nut

Could not help but chime in my 0.5 cents worth!

Agree pricing is the key with the new 4C but hopefully Fiat can't stuff up the car too much as engineering is not revolutionary (or is it a Maserati??). Believe point is to offer a true sports car and to re-ignite the brand & true Alfisti as agree with previous comments about the modern Alfas (yawn). Toyota 80 would also have encouraged them.

The 4C will never compete with the Volkswagens (AKA Porsche) due to lack of top end power but can easily be a more pure sportscar than a GT3. IMO, the Elise/ Exiges are the most pure sports cars built in the last 20 years which is why I purchased one instead of an Alfa!

Sort of wish Audi got their hands on the brand as certainly enhanced the Lambos.

Cheers
Paul

ANG156

I don't really mind this car since the style has grown on me. I agree power should be closer to gta circa 250hp. Price wise I would say it is expensive but then so was the brera and gt. Hopefully it is a success. I think fiat should do a cheaper sportscar cause the 4c is way out of most ppls price range and a more low key coupe would be great. Hell they should remake the fiat coupe, now that would be something special since we havn't had a fiat sportscar in australia since the 850 and 124.

Alfamania

Hi guys,

I am liking this car a lot, but I think its a little expensive. If it depreciates in value like the rest of the range, this would be the only sports car that i would buy and i am not saying this because i love Alfa Romeo

Cheers
Alfa GT 3.2
Maserati Gransport
Alfa 75 V6 3.0
BMW 318i e36
Saab 9000cs
Mazda Rx7 13B Extend port -Turbo
Ford XE ESP 5.8
Mazda RX-4 Coupe 13B Extend Port

aggie57

Quote from: Branko Turk on February 15, 2013, 03:52:28 PM

do your  Porker friends complain about the price as much as we Alfa people do ?

Actually no. 
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 

MD

One wonders if the Alfa design team read forum posts and if so, how much influence (if any) do contributions like this in 2007 make to starting project like the 4C ?

http://alfagtv6.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2702&hilit=ferrari+inspired

Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Brad M

I read somewhere the head of the design team had worked at Lotus on the Elise.

I think that's the major influence, but I would like to see a v6 in the back of the 4C ... that would make it a 6C  :)
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067