Alfa Romeo 4 C

Started by colcol, February 10, 2013, 04:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MD

Hahaaa. Selective editing will get you anywhere. Good call to lighten things up. ;D

Gotta say I am proud of you guys on this topic set. Everybody has had a crack at giving an opinion (good bad or ugly) including yours truly and despite opinions differing substantially on some aspects, nobody has resorted to getting personal and just stuck to debating the issues. Great sign of a great Forum.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Victor Lee

I really wish I had my camera at Phillip Island about 15 years ago when an un-named Club member towed his Alfetta GTV race car and trailer behind his ... Alfetta GTV road car!   ???

Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

hmd

When can we start a 4C racing class  :P

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Paul Bayly on July 10, 2013, 08:29:27 PM
Cast your watering eyes below and puke away...... ;D

I was going to look for this photo.  From memory, didn't Alfa invite the journo's to Calder and there was a Sud hooked up to a caravan to prove that front wheel drive was awesome.  And someone rolled the Sud?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

MD

Hahhaa. Now I know how the politicians feel getting misquoted. I believe I said ..

Quote.....the first time I see an Alfa SUV pulling a caravan....

Thankfully I have sufficient time to wait and gather a few bags.

BTW Citroen found out how good a front wheel drive towing vehicle it is in the Australian outback bulldust highways. When it rains, the dust turns to slurry and it couldn't even manage a small incline to pull a caravan up. That's when you need a real 4WD workhorse to do such work.

Nobody is denying Alfa has the capabilites to build anything they want but I think to be aware of what the market enthusiasts want in a sports car brand is what is at issue here. A certain value for money exclusivity is a hard won image that Alfa has had lavished upon it from its enthusiasts. Sustaining this in a fickle market is the challenge.

Fiat the parent company does and has made all sorts of stuff from shipping engines, tractors, trucks,commercial vehicles and the exotic list goes on. It should market the SUV under its own banner and suffer no brand compromise whatsoever.

There is nothing to be gained by the motor sport enthusiast fraternity by Alfa entering into an SUV (utility) market.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Brad M

Quote from: MD on July 12, 2013, 09:03:48 AM
There is nothing to be gained by the motor sport enthusiast fraternity by Alfa entering into an SUV (utility) market.

Given the Porsche example, with their Cayenne being their top selling vehicle, I still don't understand your view.

I agree, if executed poorly a SUV won't help the existing stigma of Alfa's and their reliability.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

alfagtv58

Quote from: Brad M on July 12, 2013, 10:29:19 AM

Given the Porsche example, with their Cayenne being their top selling vehicle, I still don't understand your view.

I agree, if executed poorly a SUV won't help the existing stigma of Alfa's and their reliability.

You could say similar with Audi and the Q range.  While, broadly speaking, they are more in the prestige market than motorsport enthusiast, the 'Vorsprung durch Technique' tagline (advancement through technology) has very strong ties to motorsport with both the LMP1 and R8 LMS Ultra programs.

Less so for BMW and the X range, but still, sales of these vehicles prop up the lower volume sports cars that we are interested in.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

aggie57

Side comment - the Alfetta chassis makes a great tow vehicle.  Speaking from personal experience, having used a GT to tow a 105 race car around Victoria many years ago.

Still, the 4C is no tow car is it and hopefully they don't include a tow bar in the accessories list ;)

I can't wait for Victor to offer me a drive at Winton :).
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Sheldon McIntosh

Fiat the parent company does and has made all sorts of stuff from shipping engines, tractors, trucks,commercial vehicles and the exotic list goes on. It should market the SUV under its own banner and suffer no brand compromise whatsoever.

Now I know you're trolling MD, as I know you'd know better than that.  Alfa have also made marine engines, aero engines, tractors, trucks, buses, and all manner of commercial vehicles.   

A simple google search will produce examples of all the above.  This is also a useful forum on the bb...   http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-trucks-buses-rail-vehicles-marine-aviation-industrial-engines/

Craig_m67

Or closer to home.... the 156 1.9JTD Q4 Crosswagon or 159 Sportwagon 2.4JTD Q4

I wonder, does the 159 V6Q4 box and gubbins bolt onto the latest 2.4JTD 159 (ratios aside)?
The 156 1.9 and 2.4 g'boxes share the same bellhousings as the busso V6
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Beatle

Quote from: aggie57 on July 09, 2013, 01:59:07 PM
SNIP>  If not for the Cayenne the company would in fact have died and we would not now have the 911, the Cayman, the Boxster and the 918.  <SNIP

Is that really the case Aggie?   I was of the understanding that Porsche, and I think Suzuki (maybe also Mazda) were the only car companies which had never operated at a loss.  The Cayenne may have increased profitability, but I'm not sure Porsche needed 'saving'.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Paul Gulliver

QuoteSud hooked up to a caravan

More likely they were just parked next to each other on the side of the road. 
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

MD

You have all been very gracious and my arse has been saved from a total singe yet again after my sticking the neck out as far as it will go contributions.. ;D ;D

...so while I am ahead I am going to exit stage left and get a lift with Chucky..
http://gracegibson.com.au/?p=1083

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Beatle

Paul, the van was hooked up to the Sud, and quite deliberately.  It was an Alfa stunt at Calder, with journo's invited to take the train for a drive.  It all ended badly with "the caravan being inverted".  The source doesn't mention if the Sud was also upside-down.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd