Odometer flashing

Started by Mr156_2.0, March 03, 2013, 01:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr156_2.0

Hi all. This happened on my old motor. The odometer was flashing on and off. Why?
"Alfa build cars to be the best a car can be......briefly" Jeremy Clarkson Top Gear.

colcol

Clean all the battery terminals and connections, all the earth connections as well, then charge up the battery and if possible check the gravity of the acid in the battery, if the odometer is still flashing after that, have it connected to an Alfa diagnostic examiner, it is most likely a body electrical issue, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Mr156_2.0

Ok thanks. It hadn't happened since I swapped my engine. Was just curious incase it happened again. The car started perfect and didn't miss a beat when it was happening.
"Alfa build cars to be the best a car can be......briefly" Jeremy Clarkson Top Gear.

Cool Jesus

Flashing odometer is a recurring diagnostic trouble code. If its stopped, there would have been an issue with the old engine's sensors picking up an anomaly which is now no longer present with your new engine. As col mentioned, you need an examiner to see what the registered DTC is that is flashing the odometer. Not all DTC will render the car unusable, if it ever gets to a point were engine damage could occur the ECU will force the car into limp mode to minimise damage and force the owner to fix the problem.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS