Brera Vs GT

Started by Beatle, January 30, 2013, 09:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatle

Has anyone seen a back-to-back test of these cars, or has driven both and would like to share impressions?
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

alanm

I would be interested in hearing from people also.

For similar money, I am exploring the Brera JTS 2.2 Petrol 4 vs GT 3.2 V6.
I gravitate toward the GT even if it is 156/146 grounded chassis because of the wow factor in the V6.
From what I have read the GM based 4 is a sound but RELATIVELY uninspiring motor.

The Brera does look the business though...

If what I am reading is correct, fitting the Q2 aftermarket LSD dramatically improves the GT V6. Can anyone comment on that.
Does it transform from under steering, torque steering beast (albeit a fun one) to a more competent car??

Cheers,
Alan
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33

Two Dogs

Beetle

The V6 goes, may not sound as good but it goes fine. Granted I don't push mine that hard, but, I followed one onto the freeway. Once he noticed me he planted it, I stayed with him but he was going quite well.

John Hanslow

Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

shiny_car

There's probably people here who know both cars well. I have had my 3.2 GT for about 6 years now. No Brera, but my wife drives the 159SW 3.2 Q4 QTronic (auto). So it's a reasonable comparison.

If you want a driver's car that is rewarding, then the GT all the way, no question. The engine is superb, in the way it growls and rumbles, even with the factory exhaust (and enhanced by aftermarket). If you hammer it, it is a very urgent car, that is very quick. The Q2 makes a massive difference, and virtually eliminates torque steer; it als transforms a car that will understeer with the factory diff, to one that you can steer with the throttle with the Q2. If you squeeze the throttle through a tightish corner, you can tuck the nose in harder. Not to mention the reliability of the Q2 vs the risk of breaking the factory diff. It's a must-have.

The relative-flaws of the GT make it what it is. It's less refined, more jiggly, noisier, crude. But so much fun. It still packs all the modern gear of the Brera (except electric seats) and safety stuff.

If the Brera is like the 159, then it is far more refined. It lacks urgency when you put the foot down. It is merely brisk. It is very solid, and when driving over bumpy roads, it soaks up the bumps and is very comfortable. When people claim that a BMW or Audi is better than an Alfa, I think they are saying their cars are more refined and easy to drive, and probably easy to drive fast. The Brera is probably the same; easy to drive.

In the GT, it takes more concentration and input to drive fast, and thus the rewards. And even driving at 6 tenths, it feels involving and fun. You need to push the more refined cars harder to have such reward; at 6 tenths, the 159 feels very capable. It means for day to day driving, the GT can bring a smile to the face. City driving a 159 (or presumably Brera) is pretty boring.

I've not driven a 2.2JTS enough to comment. But I think it would be quite boring and sedate. And far more about show, without the go. However, this obviously suits many people just fine, and fair enough.

I think that says enough about the character of each car.

Whether you wish to factor in other things like insurance, running costs, aftermarket mods, etc, up to you.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

colcol

My 2 cents worth, the GT is a 147 based car with a sexy body over it with a real Alfa V-6 and an almost Alfa 4 cylinder, the Brera is a 159 based car with General Motors based engines, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

alanm

'If you want a driver's car that is rewarding, then the GT all the way, no question' – Shiny.
I think I have just made up my mind which way I will go (if I can wangle it) :D

By the way, Kyalami Black with a red interior – great colour combination.

Cheers,
Alan
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33

oz3litre

Quote from: colcol on February 01, 2013, 08:28:38 PM
the Brera is a 159 based car with General Motors based engines, Colin.
Unless you get the 2.4 JTDM, which is a Fiat engine,tweaked by Alfa. I am loving the engine in our 159 ti SW more and more every time I drive it. I never thought I would say this, but it actually sounds good too. With the ti suspension and Q2 diff, coupled with 400nm of torque, it is impressive in the twisty stuff and also fun to drive round town. I still love my proper Alfa V6 in the Potenziata. It is a shame they put the Holden V6 in the 159s. If you could get one with a real Alfa V6 it would be a hard choice between the 2.4 JTDM and V6 for me. As it is there is no contest.
2010 159 ti TBI. Red. Wife's daily driver.
2013 Giulietta Sportiva 1.4 MA. Anthracite Metalic  My daily driver.
2009 Mito Sport 1.4 TBI. Red. Daughter's daily driver.
1999 GTV V6. Black. Son's daily driver.

dehne

I'm lookin at a new car and this Is the debate I have also but then I am also thinking keep the 156 a few more years and go straight to the 4c it's a tough decision
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

ChrisGTA

Quote from: shiny_car on February 01, 2013, 07:52:23 PM
If the Brera is like the 159, then it is far more refined. It lacks urgency when you put the foot down. It is merely brisk. It is very solid, and when driving over bumpy roads, it soaks up the bumps and is very comfortable.

What Shiny said..! I have spent a few weeks driving 2.4JTDM Breras before. They felt much more refined and solid on the road, but not as much character as the (GTA in my case).

shiny_car

Quote from: oz3litre on February 20, 2013, 02:00:09 PMIf you could get one with a real Alfa V6 it would be a hard choice between the 2.4 JTDM and V6 for me. As it is there is no contest.

They are very different cars, and obviously not merely about who designed the engine. Did you really choose the 2.4 because it is Italy vs Australia?  ;)

My wife insisted on AWD, so there was only one choice, the V6. This is a major selling point for my wife. It is heavier and it is thirstier and more expensive, unfortunately too.

Had the Australian market also had the 2.4JTDm Q4 like parts of Europe, then that would have been a more difficult choice.

I think the 2.4 is the smart choice if you can get over the 'diesel vs petrol' thing, and you don't care for AWD.

Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

oz3litre

[/quote]

Did you really choose the 2.4 because it is Italy vs Australia?  ;)
[/quote]
No. I have driven a Spider AWD with that engine for a few days and didn't like it. The whole system is way too heavy and thirsty for my liking. The extra power is used up moving all that weight in my opinion. It felt sluggish compared to our Busso engines. My wife has to drive the 159 on a 60 km round trip through the suburbs to work every day and the V6 would cost a fortune to run.  The 2.4 is cheaper to run than the 3 litre 164 she was driving previously. I don't think there is much advantage with the AWD compared to a 159 ti with the Q2, bigger brakes and tighter suspension, but that is just my opinion. I wasn't a fan of diesels until we bought this car, but it has changed my mind. The massive torque available at low revs gets you off the line pretty quickly and flattens hills. I will still keep my Busso V6 though, because it is one of the world's greatest engines and nothing else sounds like one of those.
2010 159 ti TBI. Red. Wife's daily driver.
2013 Giulietta Sportiva 1.4 MA. Anthracite Metalic  My daily driver.
2009 Mito Sport 1.4 TBI. Red. Daughter's daily driver.
1999 GTV V6. Black. Son's daily driver.