Front control arms inquiry

Started by dehne, June 21, 2013, 04:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dehne

Hi all
Has anyone ever brought one of the kits from eBay that has upper lower control arms and the sway bar
I'm looking at one for the 156 and want to know if they are ok, or can you now buy poly bushes to go on the old ones,

Thanks
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

colcol

Hello Dehne, if you mean the bushes, i have no experience, but if you mean the top control arms on their own, well i looked at getting some bushes to put in the control arms, just the standard ones, but it looked liked the bushes were about a third of the price of a control arm, and then you go to a lot of work with tools and pressing in and out and then you still have the old top ball joint, which would be a bit rattly, so i went to EB and purchased TRW brand and a new top control arm bolt, i compared the old bolt in the old control arm and measuring it it had about 0,1mm slop, the new bolt and new control arm was a nice fit, and the knock and rattle went away.
The sway bar bushes are retained by a welded on bracket?, is that correct, but it can be mongrelled off and welded back on, the sway bars are not too expensive, but the freight can be quite high, because of its size, the amount of work in pulling the old one off and replacing the sway bar, then you would want to make sure its going to work, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]