Tow vehicle

Started by alfa duk, March 14, 2013, 02:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfa duk

What is the general opinion on the configuration for a tow vehicle that will be used as a daily drive. Suggestions on make and model  ok but more importantly manual or auto and diesel or petrol. Work on a minimum 2500kg  tow capacity.
85 gtv6 dead, cant let go
84 gtv6 24 valve VRA spec
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

alfagtv58

When Neil and I drove up to SMP Eastern Creek mid last year, we both towed our race cars, Neil had a Petrol and I a Diesel.  Neil had to stop to fill up nearly twice for my once!  Pulling up the hills on the Hume presented no challenge for my Diesel and while Neil's petrol stayed with me, for the most part, it was working pretty hard to do so.  Both are auto.

Having said that, as a daily driver, I don't know, my wife drives the 'soccer mum' car on a daily basis.  I do drive it a fair bit on weekends with family etc, and its fine, as long as you have another car for a squirt through the twistys at some point, cos the Diesel SUV aint gunna scratch that itch.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Neil Choi

Doug

You are going to start a whole heap of opinions here because everyone will know best.

But for what it is worth, definitely a sizable diesel, auto or manual take your pick.

I would go with a Territory 2.7L diesel but read the Kia Sorento (2.2L diesel) is pretty darn good.  Phil will be able to tell you about it.  I am considering either by year's end for a new car.

On our trip last year, my Territory Petrol was using 2 tanks (about 17-20L/100Km) to every one tank of diesel by Phil in his Sorento and he had more pull up hills.

In the reports, the 2.2L Sorento pumps out as much power as the 2.7L Territory, both about 140kW and 400nM.  The Sorento is cheaper by $10K and better equipped. 

But I like the cargo size of the Territory.

Or the BMW X5 M5.0D which is a twin turbo diesel, 280kW, 740nM, enough to tow I think.

Land Discovery 3 Diesel perhaps

Neil Choi

Ha!!!

Phil replies saying the same!!!!  There you go.

aggie57

Not a V8 Discovery!  You can hear them slurping it down at the lights standing still....
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Beatle

HDJ80/100 Landcruiser.  The best diesel engine put into a 4WD, bar none.   Post July 1996 models are rated to 3500/350kg, before that they are only rated to 2500/250kg.

I'd go for an auto, not so muchg for any towing advantages (which there are) but it does make them less truck-like around town.

I am now on my second petrol 80 series Landcruiser (first was auto), and the clutch in my manual version is near half as heavy is it is in my Alfa 90........ :(
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

hmd

Japanese Diesel Auto is a safe bet.

Been very happy with my 2006 Pathfinder 2.5L diesel as a tow car.

Evan Bottcher

Ours looks better.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

alfa duk

Evan, you would be borderline with that set up. Any car can tow, the problem is stopping. Keep em coming, i dont mind the pathfinder diesel idea
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: alfa duk on March 14, 2013, 09:33:02 PM
Evan, you would be borderline with that set up. Any car can tow, the problem is stopping.

You may be right, but the rig was well within the towing capacity, and she handled and stopped very well.  I've felt much more uncomfortable towing with a Falcon sedan before.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Mick A

As Neil said, everyone is going to have an opinion on this one and say their setup is best!

I don't think my setup is the best as far as economic towing goes, but really, for how often you need to tow, is that really a big deal?

I have a 1999 Holden Rodeo 3.5L Crew cab ute with a fiberglass canopy. On gas, with light truck tyres. Rated to tow 2500kg, and it pulls along like there is nothing on the back. Absolutely effortless towing, heaps of grunt from the V6.

Very useful because you can put all your tools/fuel/shit in the back, and still have 4 doors and a backseat.

It does use a whole 55L tank of LPG to get to Winton though, but for $35 each way, I can't complain!

Also, A/C is amazing and it is very comfortable to drive, automatic makes it easy around town and dual fuel is great.

One last thing which is a big bonus, you can pick these and newer models up in great condition for under 10k.

Neil Choi

Here is another.

I had the fortunate use of a Mazda BT50 3.0L Diesel ute, 4 dr cab, courtesy of Daniel White and Greg McPherson of City Madza. 

Loaded with all the gear, tools, spares, trailer and race car, the Madza drove like a car and tow like there was nothing in the back.  In fact, at the lights with a bit of over excitement I managed to spin the wheels taking off, that is with trailer attached, a great surprise.

If needing a ute, they are the one to get.  They are pretty popular, lots on the road.

Fuel economy was about 11L/100km towing.

The only thing is the ute part is so high up, you need to climb in it to get things out.  My wife gave that look when I suggested getting one for her to replace her Territory.  You all know what that look is.

Oh, the Toyota HiLux SR5 is probably just a bit nicer, it had cup holders in the ute flap thingy that folds down!!!!

Neil Choi

Oh, wasn't one of the popular tow car to get is a F-truck.

Some brilliant ones around and not that expensive.

hammer

2 Cents worth: I have a 2000 model AU XR6 Falcon ute. Most comfortable seats in any car I've ever owned - including the G6E Turbo we bought this week. I get 15l/100km towing the race car rig, which it does with relative ease. Nice cheap ute available between 6 and 7 grand now for a good one. Only issue is that does really work those front brakes going down long steep ranges. I live 500m above sea level so the brakes get a good workout every time I go down the hill.

Good ute though and light on the hip pocket for purchase and repairs.

Best of luck with the choice. It really depends what else you want to use your tow vehicle for.

Cheers, Brent

alfa duk

Neil,  the bt50 was one on my short list that ticked all the boxes but i dont know if i can look at it for the next 10 years, its ugly, even on the tv ad they put a bull bar on to cover it up. How about the ford ranger? I think it has the same engine as the mazda? but looks a whole lot better. problem is the wait. 6 months manual 12 auto. Only comes in diesel. Have never towed with a manual but gathering what phil said is no different but paul says auto has its advantages, what are they? Could also go the navara
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s