BP diesel fuel

Started by oz3litre, April 24, 2013, 09:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oz3litre

We just got back from nine days travelling through the Otways, Great Ocean Road, Mornington Peninsula and the Grampians in the 159 Sportwagon. Here in Adelaide we always use BP Ultimate diesel in it, but I was only able to find normal diesel in the Victorian BP stations. One station said they had never heard of Ultimate diesel. Is the non labeled diesel lower grade stuff or is it actually Ultimate without the label? Is Ultimate diesel only available in the capital cities perhaps?
2010 159 ti TBI. Red. Wife's daily driver.
2013 Giulietta Sportiva 1.4 MA. Anthracite Metalic  My daily driver.
2009 Mito Sport 1.4 TBI. Red. Daughter's daily driver.
1999 GTV V6. Black. Son's daily driver.

Alfamania

Victoria doesnt do Ultimate Diesel
Alfa GT 3.2
Maserati Gransport
Alfa 75 V6 3.0
BMW 318i e36
Saab 9000cs
Mazda Rx7 13B Extend port -Turbo
Ford XE ESP 5.8
Mazda RX-4 Coupe 13B Extend Port

oz3litre

Is there a difference, or is it the same stuff with a different label?

AikenDrum105

I had a hunt over the interwebs for my Dad (pug 407 V6 turbodiesel) about this a while back,   at the time there were polar opinions about how much extra punch you got from the higher priced stuff.   The folks that agreed it gave more power rated the BP ultimate as the best, Caltex Vortex as the next favourite.

I think Top Gear did a video a while back proving you got more power (in the UK at least) from premium diesel on a dyno...   

There was talk that some of the upper end european turbodiesels clogged their particulate filters quicker with normal diesel over the higher priced stuff too.   this may only have been when the european cars were the only ones on the market with particulate filters.. 

Everyone agreed it foamed less while filling so you could get a full tank quicker.   :)

Dad can't get the higher priced stuff (Dromana)  anyway - and the car still goes like a cut cat for a diesel and returns the same economy as ever as far as I can tell ;)   

Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

oz3litre

Interesting. Our car certainly hasn't gone into regen mode since we bought it in December last year and we have done more than 10,000 km, so it must be running pretty clean. Is Ultimate available anywhere in Victoria, or not at all?

Neil Choi

colcol

At the Workshop night at Zagame's last year for current models, one of the Italian Technitions told us to look for the Premium Diesel, as it is more pure without any fillers and it rattles less, he said he had seen different diesels in Europe that were quite and out here the same models have quite a loud rattle, which he put down to the standard diesel fuel being used, that may be the tip, good quality diesel doesn't rattle the motor, just like good high octane petrol doesn't make the motor ping, this could be a good question at the upcoming Zagame workshop night for current models, MiTo, New Guilietta and new [again] 159, this will take place on Friday 24th May,call 0407 090 826 or email drtool@bigpond.com.au , Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]