Alfa 90 Interior R&I - Must Do tasks?

Started by Beatle, April 16, 2013, 10:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatle

I have most of the interior stripped out in preparation for rust repairs and rustproofing. 

Headliner is coming out for repair and when the car comes back I reckon I'll pull the whole dash to tend to a few things.  Rattles, security, leaves in the HVAC, stereo, clean up earths etc.  Anything else I should consider while the dash and headliner is out?

Anyone else noticed that the overhead window switches work opposite from the front and rear seats?  I was thinking of flipping switches/swapping wiring so they work the same (OK I'm anal.....).

What 'maintenance' actions should I carry out on the window motors and mechanisms?   

New door waterproofing membranes are high on the list.  Man....those doors are FULL of stuff......

Carpets and boot linings have been washed.  Seats will be cleaned.

Complete car will be rustproofed.  Probably use one of the heavier lanoline products at this stage.  I don't feel up to the stink of fishoil....again......

I need to repair a cracked external sill cover.  What's the best product to use?  Epoxy (araldite, knead-it?).

While I'm at it I'll probably sand/fill/repaint the grey-silver trims and bumpers to spruce things up.  I'd like to colour code everything (factory red) but that will wait for a total respray, which may never eventuate.  I have the body paint to a good shine at 10 feet, but the paint is stained (soft) and a PO has buffed through to undercoat on the high spots.

Basically I want to bring the car up to a decent daily-use and club-quality standard, without over capitalising.  I think I should be able to do a great job for much less than tired GTV6 money.

I found a briefcase.   Other tasks include repairing the broken armrest hinged lid, although that would seem to severely limit one's ability to actually get anything in the hole.  I'll also replace the plastic emergency boot release with wire cable, and add similar for emergency bonnet release.

If I get really keen I may even try to get the AC working, if for no other purpose than demisting.

What else should I do while the opportunity presents itself?
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

dehne

With the window switch, just swap them to the right spots, when putting the headlining back in make sure ur all the windows work or you will end up having to pull it out again ( like me) but then I am lazy and it has been that way for about 3 years now, I have spare sill covers if you just want to replace them, the ac is not a big thing to get fixed, mine works, ( well did until the belt broke and have not replace it) drove my 90 to melb for the first time in years today and what a delight and a huge saving on fuel compare to the 4wd. As a Daily driver you will really enjoy it, even more when your on the open road and give it a squirt
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

scott.venables

I'd add pulling the heater box halves apart.  When I split them to replace the heater core in my 75 I found the mesh shield covering the fan speed resistors ready to crumble due to rust.  I made a replacement from some aluminium security door mesh.

You'll also want to clean the leaves out and while you're there it's worth working some oil into the heater fan spindle bearings too (they're only plain bushes).  I posted some pictures here when I was going through it:

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=6983.0

Can you get to the heater hoses with the dash together? Might be worth checking them if you can't.

Scott

Beatle

Thanks Scott.  I still have nightmares recalling pulling the dash apart on my 75TS to get to the fan box.  Hopefully the 90 is a little easier (looks to be so).

I didn't bother replacing the resistor cover on the TS, rather I added a mesh screen upstream across the entire plenum under the windscreen.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

scott.venables

My 75 had a plastic screen in the plenum which surprised me after reading that the US Milanos don't.  The heater box still had leaves in it. 

Beatle

Dash and heater box are removed.  I'll be replacing those pesky coolant hoses while I have access.

Leaves abound..............

I also need to do a few minor repairs to plastic mounting tabs and tangs.  Standard fare.

Something I did notice is there is a thick, bare, copper wire going into the heater tap, but mine has been cut.   Is this wire a temp sender of some sort?

Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

four90s

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I have only just seen this post.

I think what you see is a second thermostat. I'm unsure if all 90s (and 75s for that matter) have this feature, but I have found it on most I've looked at.
I've noticed that if you have your heater on slightly, the heater fan will run on low speed even if you have it switched off. I assume that the extra thermostat is part of the control for that. I think there is an extra contact on the back of the "Heat" control to make it go and the thermostat switches it off when it cools.

Don't know if this helps or not.

Cheers
Steve
Adelaide
Four90s
Too many others to list
(33 Alfas and some other things since 1979)