Upgrading standard 159 to TI SPEC

Started by erico_159, August 09, 2013, 02:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erico_159

Hi guys,

I've bought a set of TI rims (19'') for my 159 - great investment!

However I'm now looking at either getting my brake calipers painted red or potentially replacing the standard callipers with brembo ones (like the ones on a TI). With the new rims, my callipers are now exposed and red callipers would be the icing on the cake!

a) does anyone know where to get callipers painted?

b) If i did locate brembo brake callipers off a 159 TI would I need to replace everything (e.g. disks) or can I simply just buy the calliper and swap it with the pre existing OE calliper!!?

Sorry if I'm not making any sense!

shiny_car

Ti spec would require new calipers (Brembo 4-pot, specific for 330mm discs), and new 330x28mm discs. There are Brembo 4-pot calipers to suit 305mm discs, which is NOT what you want; they are different. You will also need the adaptor bracket to secure the calipers to the steering knuckles; and of course new pads. Brake hoses should be the same, but also worth checking. You also want to confirm that front-rear brake bias is ok; it's generally all electronic, but there may be calibration between your brakes and Ti brakes.

My research suggests the brake master cylinder is the same between Ti spec vs 2.2JTS. What version do you have?

If serious, contact EB Spares in the UK. They offer an upgrade 'kit' for the 147GTA (305 to 330mm brakes, incl new discs, calipers, pads, hoses) for GBP$748 + shipping. They may be able to do a similar kit for your car.

You DIY, painting the calipers. You would want to thoroughly clean them, then mask everything (front quarter of car panels, pads, discs, etc); rather than completely remove the calipers (would be ideal though!), you can unbolt them from the uprights, mask, and suspend them by string. Finish with clear coat for longevitiy. I recommend VHT caliper paint, readily available from car parts suppliers (Supercheap, Autobarn, etc).

:)

Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

erico_159

Really appreciate your help! Clarified lots of things that others couldn't answer! Will contact eb spares to get a quote and see if they have an upgrade kit, if not I will seriously consider painting them myself!

Thanks again!