Help me ID this engine

Started by Syz, June 03, 2013, 12:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syz

Hi all,

Looking for some assistance in identifying this motor.
As far as I know it's a 3.0 motor.

What it's likely to be out of?
likely year?
any other specifics
The more details the better!

Cheers

scott.venables

Unfortunately there isn't much there to work with.  The valve covers are 3.0 but the plenum is earlier 2.5.

Do you have an engine number?
Is there a crank position sensor on the crank pulley?
The left hand cylinder head will have "2.5" or "3.0" cast into the front of it behind the cam pulley, but that won't confirm what the bottom end is.

What makes you think it's a 3.0?

Syz

Only because I've been told it's a 3.0.

I only have the photo to work with at this stage.

shiny_car

If it's a 3.0, then it's likely an L-Jetronic (as opposed to Motronic) V6 out of a 75, circa 1987-1989. Prior to that, the 75 had the 2.5 V6; after that (late '89), it had the Motronic V6 out of the 'Potenziata' 75; because these have a crank angle sensor, you usually see the black lead passing across the cambelt covers (alongside the spark plug and coil leads) then heading down to the crank pulley. You can't see this lead you your photo, so it probably doesn't have a crank angle sensor, hence L-Jetronic.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

AlexR

Another clue could be in the distributor - if it has a 3-pin blue plug then it's likely from a 75. The one from the 3.0 that went into my GTV6 was like this, however can only be retained if the 3.0 wiring harness is swapped in due to the difference in spark management.

As far as the plenum goes, I used the 2.5 plenum as it was simpler than swapping the throttle body across from the 3.0 motor (the linkage/cable setup is different and I didn't have access to a new gasket).
That being said, I used (with some F'ing around) the 2.5 wiring harness, plenum, dustributor, AFM etc..

The power steering reservoir in the lower right of the image gives a few clues as to the engine's origin. Can you upload any more photos of the engine bay? Specifically the opposite side near the Air Flow Meter and the wiring near the ignition coil (front of engine bay - passenger's side)

The above is obviously not definitive, but could help give us an idea...

four90s

For what it's worth and I don't know if you are going on it, but that engine bay is a GTV, not a sedan.

The washer bottle is the wrong shape for a 75 and in a 75 (or 90 for that matter) the power steering reservoir sits up where the header tank is.
The header tanks in the sedans sit on the opposite (drivers) side of the bay, at the bottom of the windscreen, not where that one is.

I can also make out the GTV style power block on the firewall, which the sedans don't have, so if it's a 3.0 litre, that means someone has added it to this car.

I don't know how many of those there are out there and not many of those conversions have the power steering added as well.

Steve, Adelaide.

Four90s
Too many others to list
(33 Alfas and some other things since 1979)

aggie57

Don't 3 litre engines have the blanking plate at the rear of the left hand head, where the distributor bolts up on a 164?  I seem to recall the early Milano 3-litre engine I had also had that plate even though it was for a north-south installation.

I think we can just see a nut behind the brake reservoir which could be on that plate?
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

AlexR

Quote from: four90s on June 06, 2013, 05:22:45 PM
For what it's worth and I don't know if you are going on it, but that engine bay is a GTV, not a sedan.

The washer bottle is the wrong shape for a 75 and in a 75 (or 90 for that matter) the power steering reservoir sits up where the header tank is.
The header tanks in the sedans sit on the opposite (drivers) side of the bay, at the bottom of the windscreen, not where that one is.

I can also make out the GTV style power block on the firewall, which the sedans don't have, so if it's a 3.0 litre, that means someone has added it to this car.

I don't know how many of those there are out there and not many of those conversions have the power steering added as well.

Steve, Adelaide.

Sorry Steve, I'm pretty useless at explaining myself!

It's definitely a GTV engine bay, as you say things like the washer bottle (not to mention the bonnet catch) give it away.
My point was that it would all appear to have been installed later on in the car's life - certainly not from factory, as power steering was not an option.

Aggie, I think you're on the ball there though. Looks like the top of the plate. I must admit I forgot all about that!

Alex