fuse access in 156

Started by poohbah, May 14, 2013, 02:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

Hi all - really simple question. I want to get access to the electric window fuses in my series 1 156. When I remove the small fascia panel next to the steering wheel to access the main fusebox, I still can't get to a whole bunch of other fuses (including windows) which are higher up and tucked behind a much bigger fascia which pretty much covers the right bottom quarter of the dash. Do I have to remove that fascia as well, or is there a trick to get access to those fuses that averts the need to pull everything apart?

Like I said, not a major issue, just keen to learn if there is a shortcut.

cheers
Poohbah
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

TFJ100

Not sure this is much help, but I have a series 2 156 (GTA). When I open the fascia panel, I can see 18 fuses, and nothing else apart from these 18.

Sounds like we have a different layout?

Cheers
Torben
Now -
2018 Giulia QV, Vesuvio Grey

Then -
10 159 3.2 JTS Ti 6sp manual - black
08 159 3.2 JTS Ti 6sp manual - silver
10 159 1.7T 6 sp man - red
03 156 GTA - black
01 GTV V6 (6 spd) - red
86 Sprint - white
90 75 Twinspark - red
89 75 Twinspark - red
80 Sud Ti - beige

poohbah

Sounds like it is a different layout - the main fusebox which is immediately accessible by removing the fascia panel holds most of the main fuses for lights, indicators etc (can't picture exactly how many from memory but would be in the order of 3 tiers of 5). But an inch or so above that there is a sort of basket which houses another bank of fuses (maybe 10?) for things like the rear electric windows and accessories like sunroof etc.

Unfortunately, this basket of fuses is hidden by the rest of the panel covering the rear bottom quarter of the dash.

When I get a chance, I might take a pic and post it on here. At this stage it looks like I am just going to have to unscrew and remove the whole bottom section of the dash. Which is a little annoying given I just want to check and replace any fuses that have blown.

Typically, the owners manual simply identifies where these fuses are located and doesn't say if more of the dash panel needs to be removed to gain access.
            1981 GTV

colcol

On my series 2 2002 JTS, there is a screw that you undo by hand, it is black and has a head like a large screw driver, then you loosen off the steering wheel lock, pull it towards the driver, grasp the bottom of the fuse cover and pull it towards the driver, it hinges at the top, so don't pull at the top as you will break the hinges, the bottom of the cover is held in by 2 clips, to put the cover back, put the 2 clips in the bottom of the cover, insert the hinges into the top of the dashboard, and carefully push the bottom of the cover home when you feel the clips go into their slot, then do up the black screw, as said in a previous post, there is like a cage covering a top row of fuses, there is i think about 6-7 fuses, but the early 156 has a conventional electrical system, after 2002 in the later models they went to a CANBUS system and may be different, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

poohbah

Thanks Col, its sounds like the layout in mine, so will do as you suggest.
            1981 GTV