75 Front Shock Absorbers

Started by Fylnn, June 20, 2013, 07:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fylnn

As I understand it, the 75's do not run the front bump rubber structure that was used in earlier Alfettas.  I also understand the droop was limited by the shock absorber, and the compression was limited by a rubber bump stop on the damper shaft.

My question is then are the front shock absorbers on the Alfa 75 different internally to those from earlier Alfettas so they can absorb the impact of the suspension dropping to full droop?  I am talking specifically of Bilsteins here. 

shiny_car

In terms of full droop, I don't know about the shock absorber, but the upper control arm (upper link) has its own 'limits'.

During my rebuild, you can see that the outer joint with the steering knuckle, and how droop is limited:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL166/13567593/24281407/405713100.jpg

Then, the inner UCA joint also has limited droop, coming to rest on the chassis pocket lower edge; in this photo, it is sitting at full droop:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL166/13567593/24340436/406363300.jpg

PLUS, if you lower the front by resetting the torsion bars - depending how much lower - the bar will limit the droop. Having reset mine for about a 70mm drop, the suspension arms no longer reach their limits, and are suspended by the torsion bar; theoretically, it could drop lower if the bar is twisted 'downwards'.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Beatle

I wouldn't be concerned about the Bilstein being able to take the forces of Alfetta suspension at full droop Fylnn.  The Alfa suspension is not particularly heavy so not overly stressing the damper rod when topping out. Plenty of vehicles use the shock as the droop limiter, particularly on the rear suspension, and solid axle cars have considerable mass hanging off the dampers.  The rear of an Alfetta is limited by the dampers, and I'll bet the Bilstein rods are thicker than the factory dampers (Boge?) .

Even the better brands of dampers are really based around a few different basic units, with only minor changes to damping rates and the attachment hardware to differentiate them.

The biggest concern on an Alfetta used for rallying would be from tearing the shock mount through the sheetmetal :o

The dampers shouldn't slam out to full extension anyway, that's the whole idea.  They dampen movement particularly on extension.  Then the rubber shock mounts at both ends add a little more compliance.  Poly bushes reduce that compliance but still have a little give.  If you had rose jointed mounts I still reckon the body would let go before the damper did. And the Alfa suspension is not particularly heavy so not overly stressing the damper rod when topping out.

But.............  there are a couple of experienced 116 rally drivers on here, so try a search for some old threads, and ask those guys directly about their experiences.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd