Range readout

Started by oz3litre, January 14, 2014, 12:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oz3litre

The range reading on my GT 3.2 dash doesn't seem to work. When I scroll through the menu it just comes up with a dotted line. Is there something I need to do to get it to work that I am missing? I  will be going on a road trip in a couple of weeks and it would be handy to be able to use it.
2010 159 ti TBI. Red. Wife's daily driver.
2013 Giulietta Sportiva 1.4 MA. Anthracite Metalic  My daily driver.
2009 Mito Sport 1.4 TBI. Red. Daughter's daily driver.
1999 GTV V6. Black. Son's daily driver.

shiny_car

How much fuel is in the tank? It reverts to ---- when the 'low fuel' warning comes on; a default to suggest you don't have enough fuel to go anywhere!

Are you getting a read out of the fuel consumption though?

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

oz3litre

That could be it. It was after the low warning had come on when I checked the range reading. I will try it again today, now that the tank is near full. The fuel consumption read out works fine.

shiny_car

Cool, let us know how it goes. Seems related to 'low fuel'.

oz3litre

You are right Shiny. It works fine when the tank is not low. I don't play with the menu button very often and I just happened to try the range when the low fuel warning had gone off in order to get an idea of how many kilometres I had left. I guess I will not know unless I run it dry. You would think that is when you need the reading the most. Thanks for your help.

shiny_car

No probs.

Bit annoying isn't it, that it stops working. But I figure there's so much inaccuracy that Alfa (or probably other marques are the same) don't wish to be responsible for you running out of fuel if it happened to read '20km range', for example!

The warning message seems to come on earlier than the warning light on the gauge. The warning light is meant to come on shortly after, at a time when there's ~13L remaining. Under normal driving conditions, that can mean another 100km. So, plenty of warning!

oz3litre

Knowing how much is in the tank when the light comes on gives me a good idea how far I can go, so thanks for that info. By the way, how do you find the 159 V6 compares to the Busso?

shiny_car

As a car, very different. The 159 is much heavier and AWD; so it is 'brisk' and refined. The GT V6 is 'urgent' and involving. The Busso car feels genuinely fast.

As engines, the specs say the GM based V6 is superior for power, torque, and fuel economy. Yet people blame the lack of performance on the engine, when IMO it's the package being overly heavy. If the new V6 was in the GT or GTA, it would go even harder, I'm sure, and people would be ringing its praises.

Anyway, very different-natured cars.

oz3litre

Aren't the power and torque curves in the 159 V6 a bit more American style? I saw a graph somewhere that seemed to suggest that. Our ti Sportwagon is a 2.4 JTDM so it is very different in nature to a petrol engine, but still pretty quick and certainly fun to drive.

Bretton Woods

Shiny car has it spot on. I think my next one has to be Busso engined.