156 jts manual gear change "thud"

Started by t-rev, July 31, 2013, 05:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-rev

Hi,when i change gear,mainly from 1st to 2nd, i get a thud through the drive-line regardless of timing or speed, it seems like i have to "feather" the clutch out to smooth it off.Is this an adjustment thing?The clutch does not slip and seems pretty solid.Is this a common thing?

colcol

Check the engine and gearbox mounts, particulary the top right hand side 'dogbone' mount, the engine gearbox could be moving too much in the lower gears as the torque transfers, it may also be an exhaust loose and moving, this question would get a better response in the 147-156- 166-GT catergory, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Alfa156Melb1

In addition to ColCol's suggestions, you really need to ensure that the clutch rod is properly adjusted (28- 28.5mm) and then do a calibration along with a bite point fine tune.  If you don't have MES, then you'd need to have Examiner plugged in by an indie.  Buying a licence for MES and some cables is cheaper!  8) especially in the long run.

Once those have been checked / done, if there's still a problem, you might be looking at a pressure problems, EV0 o-ring issues, or a new clutch.

colcol

T-Rev, is your 156 a manual or Selespeed?, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Alfa156Melb1

My bad   :o  :-X - he did say manual.... although he has similar symptoms to my selepseed a while ago..  a simple readjustment sorted it out....

colcol

A good point Alfa 156Melb1, the selespeed should be calibrated every year, just so the gearbox knows where the clutch is, so it can operate it smoothly, still would check out the engine mounts, as they could be moving too far with the 1st and 2nd speed starting torque of the motor, Colin.