Alfa 33 16v starting problem

Started by RJI13, July 15, 2013, 12:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJI13

Hi All,

My I've just dropped a 16v in my series 1 (pics will follow shortly) and it has a confusing problem while trying to start. When I go to start it it turns over quickly, but doesn't start. Sometimes it starts when you release the key. yet it will bump start perfectly.

Richard

colcol

Check the ignition switch, well known problem on 33's....and 90's.....and 75's as they all use the same undersize ignition switch, and the good news is that they are available off ebay for about $150, put a test light on the + side of the coil and see if it has power, if it has power and the car still won't start then the ignition switch is ok, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

RJI13

The coil has power, but when the starter is engaged the voltage to the coil was dropping down to 5V, I've sorted a few wiring issues out and got it back up to around 10V when the starter is engaged, but it still has the same symptoms. I'm going to try a new coil tomorrow just incase the coil isn't working to well. Could it be possible the injectors are over fueling and causing the mixture to be to rich?

Richard

colcol

The coil should have about 7 volts when running and about 9-12 volts when cranking over, this is so when its running the normal volts are about 7, which gives you a normal spark, this is via a resistor, which knocks the volts down from 12 to 7, when the starter motor is engaged, the coil is supplied with volts directly from the battery, which is about 9-12 volts, which gives you a big fat spark, to start the car, but only while the starter motor is operating for a short time, so as not to burn out the coil.
The distributor on the series 1, 33 is different to the setup on the 16 valve, i think it works out the firing through a crank sensor and a 'chopper' style distributor 'trigger', just see if the spark plugs are firing, even if the timing is way out, it will still kick when the spark plug sets fire to some petrol, have always suspected coils of failing when faced with a 'no start', problem on the 33, but still have the original, 'Prince of Darkness' Magnetti Marelli coil, with apoligies to Lucas for stealing their motto, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

RJI13

I'll have a look and play around with the coil tomorrow. I have a feeling this might be the issue.

Richard