Car Bras

Started by Bellbird, July 27, 2013, 08:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bellbird

Have decided to get a car bra for the brand spanker Giulie 'cause I do a bit of country driving(the 156 was riddled with stone chips and it drove me crazy - no pun intended). 

Went to Covercraft in Sydney and he said that the only place to go is CarBra Aust in Melbourne.  Anyone had anything to do with them?  Anyone know of a place in Sydney - seems weird that there isn't a place in Sydney.

colcol

You may consider having a plastic clear sheet stuck over the front of the car, like the type that was at Spectacolo last year, they stick a clear plastic film over the existing panels, and its there until you take it off, unlike a carbra, you don't have to install it and take it off, some Touring car teams use this method as it saves them having to respray their cars after each race meeting, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Bellbird

Thanks for this Col!  How long does the sheet last and can you use it several times (put it on, take it off over and over) cause I'd only put it on for country during and not for going to work so it would have to be recycled!  How much do they cost and who supplies them?

Bellbird

"It's there until you take if off" seems that it is just a one off thing.

colcol

There until you sell the car, had a freind who had it on a prestige car, on the front panels, didn't know he had it, car bras sound like hard work, the new car paint finishes are good these days, not like Alfa Romeo's in the old days, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Bellbird

Sounds good!  So where do I get one?

shiny_car

I have a Car Bra for my GT, and previously had one for another car. Yes, produced in Melbourne, and the quality is very good.

http://www.carbra.com.au/

On our 159 (bought many years after the GT), I bought a clear film kit as described above. Pre cut for the car. I fitted it myself, but DIY is not for everyone. Requires a bit of skill, clean/wind-free environment; otherwise, a window tint shop could fit it for you.

http://www.ducoscratch.com.au/products.asp?cat=ALFA+ROMEO+GIULIETTA

I prefer the clear film, because it's always fitted, and from a distance it is invisible. The car bra is a bit of a hassle to fit/remove, and ultimately puts swirls on some of the paint work where it's tightly fitted; and not ideal to leave on all the time if it's raining or where there's lots of leaves/debris to slide under.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

colcol

As ever Shinycar you have the answer, clear film and carbras have pros and cons, being the lazytype i would go for a clear film that protects all the time, in Melbourne when the councils resurface a road, they throw loose stones on it, and you can got stones chips from the city, let alone the country, Colin.

Bellbird

Thanks Shiny car!  Will check out the clear film!
:)

Beatle

Use both !

The film will protect the paint from the chafing of the car bra.  The bra will take all the stones and grasshoppers.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd