Headlight Reflector Refurbishment

Started by Beatle, August 11, 2013, 10:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatle

The headlight reflector in my 90 is looking a little 'dusty'.  It's not corroded through but has a film of dull silver (combination of moisture and uprated globes?).

Anyone have any success in recovering some semblence of shine to this type of reflector?  Metho?  Turps? Polish? Toothpaste?

Can you buy headlight-reflector-silver in a spray can? :D

It's not for a concourse resto, but needs to be rendered servicable.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

colcol

Use some burnishing creme or swirl remover, it is a very fine polish, with a very fine abrasive in it, i have used toothpaste to polish out windscreen scratches, but swirl remover worked better, available at Repco, made by Turtle and in a green bottle, and any left over you can polish your car, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

shiny_car

I guess reflectors may differ from era to era, model to model, but I noticed the ones in my 155 were very 'fragile'. The layer of 'silver was extremely thin and soft, and even moderate rubbing with a dry microfibre cloth scratched and damaged it, so at best I only wiped it over gently.

Hence, take it easy and see how you go. But I suspect any amount of cutting compound may totally remove it. Give it a go, and let us know how you go.

Otherwise, if you're keen, you may need to resort to having it professionally recoated. If it's metal, then chrome plating; if it's plastic, then plastic chroming.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

jg1053

I believe that the only "real" way to do it is to have them re silvered by a silversmith. There are some after market products that don't seem to guarantee the result that are cheaper, googl it.
Jim

105gta

Hi all, after working in a restoration shop for quite a few years we experimented with different surface finishes and would like to point out that if at all possible, try polishing the original with swirl remover as suggested otherwise they 'must' be re-plated with silver! To the naked eye you would think they are chrome but they are not! We tried a few different times to chrome to a very high degree and although they looked the part, the actual reflection was very poor. Night time driving was as terrible! Chrome reflects a yellow light which seems like you have bad earths and poor lighting. Re silvering  brings them back to 'as new'! Also as suggested take care if polishing because yes the manufacturers didn't put any more silver on there than needed to be there and silver is very soft! it's easy to rub it off completely. But you have nothing to lose if they are already shot. Ben
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (WIP)
1985 GTV6 (WIP)

ItalCarGuy

Quote from: 105gta on August 22, 2013, 09:11:50 AM
Hi all, after working in a restoration shop for quite a few years we experimented with different surface finishes and would like to point out that if at all possible, try polishing the original with swirl remover as suggested otherwise they 'must' be re-plated with silver! To the naked eye you would think they are chrome but they are not! We tried a few different times to chrome to a very high degree and although they looked the part, the actual reflection was very poor. Night time driving was as terrible! Chrome reflects a yellow light which seems like you have bad earths and poor lighting. Re silvering  brings them back to 'as new'! Also as suggested take care if polishing because yes the manufacturers didn't put any more silver on there than needed to be there and silver is very soft! it's easy to rub it off completely. But you have nothing to lose if they are already shot. Ben

So Ben, I see you are in Brisbane, who does headlight resilvering? I was only discussing this yesterday with someone. Also, is your coupe on the road? I saw a red stepfront in Samford on Sunday. If yours is a 67, it must be very close to my chassis number.

105gta

Hi Derek, I think?? Pine rivers used to do our stuff including silver, I could be wrong..  been quite a few years now but the guys name was Kevin, I can't remember if he started working down at the gold coast plating somewhere but If I was ever going to get any plating done it would definantly be through him! Excellent work, a bit slow at times but highly recommended if you're not in a rush. But there really has been a few beers since then ;)
No that wouldn't have been me in the red car. Mine is in peices and will be for quite some time, focusing on the gtv6 at the moment.
Ben
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (WIP)
1985 GTV6 (WIP)

Craig_m67

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

jg1053

What bout someone in Melbourne? Any suggestions?
Jim

pancho

I spoke to the glass silvering people at Varga Brothers Mitcham (who did my GTV mirror) - the owner told me that silvering is only really possible on glass and in some instances tin - it just doesn't stick to other substrates.

Headlight bowls he said cannot be done by todays techniques. When I took my old Carello bowl to James Groom he looked at it and said it was chromed and to take it to the plating shop (Sterling Platers Hberg). I'll check with them when I collect my other bits this week and see what eventuates... They do a lot of hot rod work such as large US car bumpers and wheels etc so they would be doing high end work as those bumpers are mega bucks to get done.