Alfa 90 - Bonnet Removal

Started by Beatle, August 31, 2013, 01:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatle

Do I remove the bolts threaded into the bonnet panel, or the bolts through the hinge mechanism?

The hinge looks to have some type of multi-lever arrangement which I assume is to lift the rear of the bonnet in a crash, but the links look as though they would hold the two halves of the hinge together even with the bolts removed.

I'd like to remove the bonnet for easier access to the firewall and want to minimise the need for realignment of the bonnet when I'm done.

Also. the trailing edge of the bonnet is sitting low.  To lift it up do I shim the hinges where they attach the bonnet, or is there adjustment in that two-piece hinge arrangement?
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

105gta

Hi Paul, if its anything like the 75 bonnet hinge, you can remove the 2 small bolt that lock the multi lever operation and leave the hinge bolted to the bonnet and to the chassis but it will open right up and Over to the point that you need to put a blanket on the roof to stop it scratching ;)
No need for any re-alignment just put the bolts back in when finished! I wish the gtv6 had and easy arrangement like the 75.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (WIP)
1985 GTV6 (WIP)

Beatle

Ah Ha!!   That explains the hinge setup.  :)  I thought it looked like it had a specific reason for being.

Thanks for the tip.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

four90s

Hey Paul,

Just be careful when you go to put it back down. You'll need two people, (one each side) otherwise the corners of the bonnet will get bent.

(Ask me how I know).

Cheers
Steve
Adelaide
Four90s
Too many others to list
(33 Alfas and some other things since 1979)

Beatle

To provide some closure.....

The bonnet does indeed fold back but not far enough to actually sit on the roof/screen ( I may have folded it wrong so I'll give it another go later).  I've supported it with a rolled up blanket and tethered it so it doesn't get blown closed. 

Steve, I see what you mean about the potential to bend things.   You sorta need to lift the rear of the bonnet panel while you fold it, or it rests in the trailing edge and would bugger things nicely  >:( 

Some rubber or timber buffers are needed where the hinge contacts the bonnet.  There isn't much weight in it, but it could easily crack paint on the trailing edge.

Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd