Any ideas how much to get this going?

Started by cranberry, September 26, 2013, 04:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidm1600

The short answer is yes if the belts snapped, jumped teeth when the engine was going, which if I read the for sale notice correctly seems to  be the case, and hence the engine won't work.  Given the prices being asked now for '98 GTV/6s a the asking price is just about right. 

I am sure if you jump on line/talk to some wreckers one could find a good condition 2nd hand V6 but then there is also the cost of removal of the damaged engine and installation of the "new" engine. The alternative of course being to rebuild the existing one.  The only problem there is that unless you strip it down you really won't know exactly what damage has been done and this will affect the rebuild price.

I may be incorrect but I am sure I have read that a full rebuild of a V6 will cost easily over $5 or $6K.  If correct that is the likely price of the car in the market place.  Hence the dilemma, the cost to fix could outweigh the end value.  Sad really given how much these cars cost when new (around $80K) !!
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

colcol

I would find out from an Alfa Wrecker the price of a warranted low kilometre V-6 and have the water pump and belts changed while its out of the car and the installation cost, a rebuilt might cost too much by the time you change valve and guides and pistons and repair heads.
Wreckers may have a few V-6's around considering the low price of used 156's, a slight bump and they are written off, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]