Q2 installation

Started by phri, October 05, 2013, 08:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phri

Hi,

I ordered a Q2 for my gtv3.0 and intend to install this myself. I do have the workshop manuals but installation of a q2 is not described in here. I did find some info on this on the alfa workshop website, but this is fairly basic and not good enough to get stuck into this only with this advice. Anybody know where to source a detailed instruction procedure for the installation of a Q2 on a gtv?

Thanks in advance   

Cool Jesus

Isn't it just a diff swap?
Just follow the diff inspection/installation in your workshop manual would be my guess  ??? (stand to be corrected here of course).
PS: I little write up on the swap with photos would be awesome   8)
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

shiny_car

It will need to be 'shimmed' to ensure throw-out/backlash with the gearbox pinion gear is within spec. Otherwise it will shift around side-side with acceleration/deceleration, resulting in chatter and at worst, longer term wear and damage.

Hence, if you don't have the facilities and access to parts to achieve this, probably not a DIY job. That is, it's not a direct drop-in replacement if you want it done properly.

'Yes', it will 'work' if you just drop it in. And there's even a small chance using the existing shim will be perfect. But also as much chance it will be incorrectly shimmed.

Aside from this, and generally needing new bearings (because removing the old ones tends to damage them, I was told), it should be as per the workshop manual, and fitting the standard diff.

No, I haven't done it, and nor do I feel confident that I could because I don't have the tools/parts to ensure backlass is within spec.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

phri

Thanks guys,

Not really what I wanted to hear, sounds like I shouldn't try to tackle this myself.
btw it's actually not a 'real' q2 but the Quaife kit from Autolusso.

Shiny-car as you're in geelong do you know any local workshop who can tackle this? (I live close to Geelong too) It's a hassle to bring the car to the other side of melbourne and leave it there for this, need 2 cars 2 drivers etc. Anybody got this done recently in victoria? if so indication of cost?

colcol

You need to set up the crownwheel and pinion so that the tooth contact is correct, this is done by putting blue prussion paste on the crownwheel and pinion and when you have it setup correctly by shimming, then you have to setup the lash on the crownwheel to pinion, this is done by setting up an indicator on the pinion to see how far the pinion moves before it contacts the crownwheel.
As you can imagine it is not an easy job to do in the car and is most defiantly not a job for the do it your selfer.
I hope the Quaife kit works better than what they do in the New Zealand Touring Car Series, Quaife gearbox blowups are quite regular occurance, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

shiny_car

The Quaife is meant to be at least as strong as the Q2; apparently 'better' in this regard. Never heard of either breaking in an Alfa street car (not that I'd necessarily hear about it, if it did!). I figure it's not a Touring Car!

Quote from: phri on October 07, 2013, 06:13:33 PMShiny-car as you're in geelong do you know any local workshop who can tackle this? (I live close to Geelong too) It's a hassle to bring the car to the other side of melbourne and leave it there for this, need 2 cars 2 drivers etc. Anybody got this done recently in victoria? if so indication of cost?

Honestly, I'd take it to Lance Dixon, where you can arrange a courtesy car, including for overnight. Check with them, but they will probably suggest allowing 2 days to get it done (not that it will take 2 days 'straight' of time). And of course, ring them before heading back to Doncaster to pick it up.

It's a bit of a pain, but I do it whenever servicing our cars, and thus can only do it on a day(s) off.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey