Selespeed question. How jolty is normal?

Started by astro boy, October 21, 2013, 04:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astro boy

Hi Guys.  I'm new to the forum and alfa romeos so please be gentle.
I just bought an 2008 147 selepeed for the mrs. I test drove it and it all seemed great to me but, had one thing nagging me.
I'm sure you've heard this question a thousand times but I couldn't find anything that specific to my question.

What is normal behavior of the selepeed transmission? The 1st-2nd gear change (even whilst in "city" mode) felt quite jolty.
I wasn't really driving it hard but it felt like pressing the clutch down on my manual car whilst doing 6000rpm. i.e There was a half second
to a second pause while the gears changed where the car would slow down in a slightly jolty motion. The other gear changes weren't
so bad.
I'm not complaining. I think its normal but I'm not an expert. I just dont want to drive away with something that may have issues.

colcol

The Selespeed isn't an Automatic with a Torque convertor to smooth things out, but it is a Manual with an auto clutch, if in doubt you should have it checked out as they have to be looked at every year, the clutch rod has to be reset to compensate for clutch wear for example.
Check our supporters banner for Alfa Romeo Service Providers.
The 2008 was a lot simpler and reliable than the earlier series on the 1st series 156.
You know too that the cam belts have to be changed every 3 years or 50,000 klms and check the engine oil level every week.
And welcome to the Forum and Alfa Romeo motoring, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

astro boy

Thanks Col. Yeah, I might get a Alfa Romeo service provider to check it out for me. I just wish I knew that what was normal behavior before I drive away with it. I have already asked the dealership to check that the cam belts have been done when they do the service.

colcol

Astro boy, when you do the CAM belt every second time, have the water pump changed as well as it is part of the cam belt tensioning system as the belt runs on it and drives it, if the pump leaks or seizes up, it will ruin your engine, when the belt breaks, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

astro boy

hmm. Thanks for the heads up. I'll get a guy to look over it for me.