Rda rotors for 147?

Started by Alfapride, April 21, 2014, 04:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfapride

Hi all and happy Easter ! Wondering if anyone has had experience with rda brake rotors for an Alfa 147? I'm due for a brake and rotor upgrad and these seemed good value on eBay?
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

krysRAW = AROCA-Vic PR =

I haven't heard good things regarding the use of RDA rotors.  Hear stories of them warping.

During a 932 tech night a couple if months ago,  Matt from Alfamen in Footscray explained that the factories that create the RDA rotors don't allow enough time for the steel that the rotors are made from to cure enough before they packed and shipped out for consumer purchase and use.

This just turn results in the warping of the rotors when under stress.

:o
2004 156 JTS 2.0 5-Spd Manual

MODS:
Tint
Stance SC7 19x8.5 Rims
Custom Sport Exhaust
Custom 90mm Cold Air Intake
SAAS Pod Filter
Wheel guards Rolled & Pumped
BC Adjustable BR(RS) coilovers
Front Tower Strut Brace
3" intake pipe

colcol

Alfapride, do you want replacement rotors and brakes that are an upgrade on your current brakes or just renew the current setup?
In the olden days Rolls Royce use too cast their engine blocks and throw them out in the weather for a few years to allow them to normalise, to get all the warping out of them, nowdays they have a metal treatment process they use, for most metals, hopefully including brake rotors.
I have Falcan mates who have problems with rotors warping, it is mostly caused by too much heat on a big heavy car, and thats not racing, just driving around.
Have a look on other forums for views on RDA rotors, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Alfapride

Hi colcol I just need to replace the current pads and rotors not sure what is currently fitted to the car but thought id ask around to see if anyone here had used the rda as try seemed pretty affordable reviews online are mixed from what I read and I did read about the warping mentioned might have to look for alternative!
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

giulia_veloce

If wheel nuts are tightened to the factory specs,there is less prone to warping.
I usually tighten them at 40nm,then 80nm then 110 nm final in the correct sequence.

Many years ago,with my Commodores,the discs would warp.
After talking to many experts,its was recommended to use a torque wrench to tighten the wheel nuts,and not a rattle gun.
I do find the RDA discs to be of a very high quality

And how many people get their car washed at Car wash places with high temperatures still in the brake discs.They will warp.
And then they use mag wheel cleaner on them which corrodes the brake components etc.
Use a tension-torque wrench to tighten wheel nuts

MD

RDA are made in China. You pays your penny and takes your chances....

and yes Ford Falcon rotors do warp and so do Repco replacements for them supposed to be from New Zealand but yep ,they're Chinese . EBC are Chinese too.

Get some ATE stuff from Europe that is at least made to a DIN standard irrespective of where they are actually fabricated.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

colcol

I purchased some front rotors for the 156 called GRAF, made in Italy, they seem to work ok along with the Magnetti marrelli brake pads, been in for 5 years with no warping problems, they dust up the front wheels a bit though, not sure which pads to try next, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

ANG156

Ive been using raicam pads from Milanos. They are pretty decent pads but i find they squeak a bit but then again i did no put any copper grease when i installed them 4 years ago