156 Stalling intermittently 10 minutes to restart

Started by martysworld, January 15, 2014, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martysworld

Much appreciate your advice guys. Been on a few runs now and all seems good. You really helped  ;D

colcol

Crank sensors are not an Alfa Romeo problem, they are a Bosch, Magnetti Marelli or Lucas problem, they work for X number of years, then give up the ghost, If the particular crank sensor fails on an Alfa, then the same part number crank sensor will also fail on a BMW or Audi,......except you won't hear about, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Mick A

Colin,

I would like to see your statistics to support this claim!

I think it is dependent on placement, and how much heat is induced.

colcol

No statistics to support claim, however, you have X number of heat cycles and hours and then they fail, but not a good idea to put one next the exhaust, obviously Alfa Romeo knew theirs would be super reliable by putting at the back of the engine, where you can hardly get at it.
Hear of the odd Audi and BMW having crank sensor failures, was going to buy a 156 crank sensor to throw in the boot and a lot are interchangeable looking at different listings, the 156 2 litre has 3 different types to buy, if i had the engine out, and my big fat hands would fit, i would put in a new one, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

poohbah

Marty, just out of interest, what were you charged to have the crank sensor replaced?
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

martysworld

Hi have a friend that did it for me and ad the part. cost me $80

poohbah

Well done - sounds like a good cost-effective outcome. A mate of mine had a crank sensor issue on his Astra about 2 months ago - cost him over $300 and the inconvenience of no car for over a week while the workshop faffed about trying to work out what was wrong.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Meng

Alfa Romeo 156 GTA 3.2 V6

colcol

Bloke next to me had a Vectra, actually, made in Australia, and it kept stopping when it was hot, and he stuffed around with it for ages, then it died in his garage, and he had to get it towed to a Holden dealer, so crank sensors will come good when cold, but will eventually die, Colin.