regret

Started by ANT_GTV6, January 06, 2014, 08:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANT_GTV6

Hi guys,

How many people regret selling there Alfa? I sold my 85 Gtv6 in september after owning it for 6.5years and have regretted it ever since. I saw it for sale recently again but the price was to much for me to buy it back as I sold it dirt cheap.
I am now in the process of convincing my wife to buy another Alfa as I am driving a suzuki swift at the moment and it doesnt cut it. Im tossing up between an 85 gtv and a 78 Alfetta 2litre. I need the car as a daily driver. What are the pros and cons of both obviously they are both twin cam, same running gear just one a 4 door, not much different to my gtv6. Are there any other noticeable differences? Does anyone else drive theres most days of the week? My gtv6 was a daily driver and performed most days without trouble. I live in central qld so it gets quite hot and drive 25 highway minutes to work. Sorry for the long winded story.

regards,

Anthony

Gtv6

Im about to start using my 6 as a daily as well. Fingers crossed it all goes well. Good luck finding another one. Theres a few well sorted ones on the market right now.

festy

Given the choice of an Alfetta sedan or coupe as a daily driver again, I'd probably choose the sedan.
The driving position is better (you can use the sun visors!), visibillity is better, the back seat is usable, and they don't attract nearly as much unwanted attention from cops, hoons at the lights, or thieves/vandals when it's parked.

AikenDrum105

The GTV is like a glasshouse compared to the alfetta  - heat wise ;)   

Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

Darryl

Mechanically near enough to identical so there isn't much in it imho (I've owned both as dailies in the past). You can make a case for the practicality of the sedan of course - but if you don't actaully have a use for that back seat not really much different - in fact it is easier to fit some odd loads in GTV. Neither has great aircon, but Scott is right re the extra insolation of the GTV making it worse. Of course, just like red cars and striped ones, everyone knows GTVs are faster.... Buy the best (body especially) condition car?

barts

Hi Anthony,

Sad to hear about your GTV6. I would never have got into the sprints at QR without you dragging me along. Since I saw you last we've been through Darwin, Canberra and now in rural Vic about an hour and a half North of Melbourne but I hope to get back to Toowoomba one day.

I've still got my GTV6 but ... I've decided to sell it as I don't use it anymore. I just start it up and take it for a spin every couple of weeks and put it away. Your post has made me think though... perhaps I should just restore it for road use again or hang on to it for the time (post kids) that I have time to get back into the sprints and racing.

Best of luck with the search and let me know if you want me to check any cars out from down this way for you.

Dan

bteoh

What about looking for an Alfa 75. I reckon they are great as a daily driver. Comfortable and the aircon is much better than in the GTV.
Good luck in your quest :)

ANT_GTV6

Thanks for all the info and options. The case for the sedan looks good. The heat in the gtv6 was awful and that was a toowoomba summer now im in yeppoon its a bit hotter. My wife used to struggle to drive the gtv6 so a 75 with power steering maybe the go. Thanks dan will do mate.

cheers,  anthony

hammer

Find a good 75 twin spark Anthony. Cheap, quick and easy to live with in all departments.

Good to hear you are getting back into an Alfa mate.

Cheers,

Brent

hammer

Also Ant, if you want me to check out any cars for you in the south east, give me a call. My number is on the AROCA Qld committee listings.

Cheers,

Brent

ANT_GTV6

Cheers brent, ill be on the look out for a twinnie. None on car sales at the moment only a v6. Thanks for the offer.

Cheers,

Anthony

GTVeloce

+1 for the 75 twinnie as a daily driver.

GTV-074

There is a 75 TS listed in the club ads on this site currently (don't know its staus).

Used to have a 75 TS ditto.... great car / package.

Cheers.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?