Looking for a 105

Started by AlexM, March 14, 2008, 11:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexM

Hi all,

I'm new to the site and have been out of Alfa contact for a decade or so. Had an Alfetta, then a red 33 ... then children and Toyota station wagons ever since  :-[
Anyway, looking for a return to some driving pleasure and am considering buying a restored 105 series ... perhaps a 1750.
Anyone who has suggestions, places for me to look (other than here) and words of advice (what to look out for) and offers to check out anything that I may be interested in, would be very appreciated.

The car and the contacts have to be in Melbourne or reasonable distance ie an hour's drive, or so.

In any case, just been browsing the AROCA site, and posts, and it seems like there's been no waning of the Alfisti spirit since I've been gone. Very nice to see.

cheers
Alex

Gary Pearce

They are a bit hard to find at present Alex. Currently I have 3 people also looking for the very same car you are after.
You will need to widen your net a little to get the right car and consider interstate too. It doesn't cost much relatively to fly interstate and check out a good car before arranging to freight it home.
A fantastic (green) 2000 GTV was recently sold in Adelaide.
Our Cub sites and magazines (all states) are a good starting place, as is e-bay and all the classic car magazines. You might also consider 105 Spyders or Supers.
As previously advised on other threads they are a great model and a source of much enjoyment to many of us. Mechanically there is not much to be concerned about, as there is lots of help from suppliers and repairers associated with our Victorian Alfa Club.
The big issue is body repair condition. You need photographic evidence of body repairs, or seek the help of a very qualified expert in Alfa repairs before paying big money for a restored car. Or if the price is low be prepared to pay the big money your self. Good luck we hope to see you at our events.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

AlexM

Thanks Gary ... and I thought maybe I'd be the only one ;) They weren't quite that scarce that last time I was around.
I'll keep a look out, maybe widen the net. I really liked the Alfetta - and the 33.
cheers
Alex

Ash Gordon

Alex,

I found my Alfa on carsales.com.au after about 6 months of searching. There always seems to be a few there to look at, but the prices can be quite high. There have been some examples up to $50k - currently range from about $8k for a 1600 up to near on $40k.

When you do find one though you have to be quick, I almost lost mine to another buyer who was willing to buy her sight unseen.

Also browsing eBay turns up the occasional 105. There's a reasonable looking '69 1750 on there now. Item number: 200208202284

Asking $7.5k but if you could pick it up for around $5k it would be a great restorer / project car.  Only concern would be Alfa's aren't the great with the rust at the best of times and the car being from Torquay could be worse than normal. Minilites look good on the 105 too..

Also chatting around the office also helps, just discovered a colleagues aunt has a '72 Alfa which she has owned since new - just waiting to hear back on price..  ;D

Good luck with the search.

Ash
'69 105 1750 GTV White (SLOW work in progress)
'72 105 2000 GTV Green ( Donor Car)

sportscar

Hi all,there's a 72' 105 in this mornings trading post $5000 neg,red
This one will go fast ,if anybody is in the market for one
cheers
;D

AlexM

Can't see it on line sportscar, but I'll check out the paper version.
cheers
a

sportscar

hi Alex,it's under classic and unique cars "Trading post "
I saw one recently in Adelaide for $1500 but it got snapped up quick and i think it is now in mebourne.If your looking for one the series 1 are a much nicer car.They have the better instruments and aeroplane style bucket seats but are much harder to come by.Good luck with the search.
Jason

AlexM

Found it. Thanks Sportscar.
Says it hasn't been started for 5 years.
Bit nervous about this.
Any advice as to someone/where in Melbourne I could get it checked out thoroughly?
cheers
Alex