1998 GTVv6: Wheels won't turn

Started by BBRT, February 27, 2014, 08:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBRT

G'day,

It was 30 C in Brisbane today and the car had been parked in the sun. After driving for about 5 km it started to feel as through the brakes were coming on and it felt as though they were coming on harder and harder. I was able to get it off the road and into a carpark before it stalled. The engine would start and rev fine in neutral and when the clutch pedal was pushed in but when you started to let the clutch pedal out it would start to stall. Strong burning smell. After leaving it for a few hours it was fine, so I got another 5 or so kms down the road before the same thing happened.

Possible handbrake jamming or ABS coming on??

Neither the ABS nor handbrake light were showing.

Cool Jesus

I don't think it's your abs or handbrake, I'd be looking at your clutch. When's the last time it was serviced? From what your describing you're clutch bearing may have failed. Handbrake works against a spring in the rear calipers which are orientated to always have it off. The abs works in cyclic manner, off on off on, and there's plenty of diagnostic to turn it off and display the warning light if the solenoid valves have jammed  to the on position.
I'd be diagnosing your clutch mechanism, from pedal to plate. Pinpoint the burning smell is it in engine bay or at wheels? Are you sure it's not the clutch plate slipping?
Although, your symptom that brakes felt like they came on and engine stalling doesn't really meld with my diagnosis. Jack the wheels up and see if they turn by hand? I guess it's not impossible for some foreign matter to have jammed between caliper and rotor? So while wheel is up inspect calipers with wheel off.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

colcol

Brakes seized on, wheel bearing seized up, constant velocity locked up?, jack up car and see if you can see anything amiss, see where smell is coming from, brake smell?, brakes locked on, hot around brakes, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Cool Jesus

Yeah there all good points. I'd be apprehensive at suggesting you go out and replicate the smell, would have been good to find its source at the time. Just have a good look at the areas being suggested for proper wheel rotation. Check your fluids brake/clutch, check for any overnight leaks. My money is still on the clutch. A locked up wheel or two would register an abs error, as all wheels aren't turning in harmony. Of course unless all four are being affected. Curious to know what's happening bbrt?
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Cool Jesus

Final thought before sleepy time. How long have you had the car? Is the abs warning light turning on when you start the car? Does your model have the traction control abs?
Is the abs warning light coming on, then turning off doing is test sequence and showing you that the bulb is ok. Bulb may be out or removed by previous dodgy owner.
In saying this, col's suggestion of a siezed calliper would cause the abs (particularly traction control) to apply braking pressure to equalize the faster spinning ( non seized ) wheels, cooking the pads and causing the burn smell. Even so, I'd expect an abs warning to be indicated on the dash and if bulb is out it won't indicate. Or maybe it's not registering the correction as a significant error, even though it's putting off the road.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

BBRT

Thanks for the replies.

No traction control, "Phase 1". ABS light tests normally on start up. I seem to recall that the problem started when I touched the brake at a round-about. The brakes came on more strongly than usual.

I will put it on the tilttray and send to mechanic this morning.

colcol

BBRT, sounds like a seized brake caliper, will most likely require a rebuild with a new seal kit, have both sides done, if it is calipers, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Jekyll and Hyde

Most likely is the front brake hoses are disintegrating internally, and will allow fluid to pass, but not all of it returns. The pads then drag, heat up, expand, and clamp onto the disc harder and harder the further you go.  Had the same issue with my gfs phase 1 V6, which was intermittent - it would do it one day, then not do it again for weeks. Of course, it never did it when I was around, so it took ages before I was able to actually diagnose it.

Pretty unlikely for the Brembos used on the V6 to seize - in Australia at least.

BBRT

Got car back today. Problem with brake booster. Mechanic had seen it before in 916 GTV.

Cool Jesus

Good to hear your back on the road. So what was the problem with the booster, I'll have to keep an eye in mine or is it a v6 issue?
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS