Petrol tank gasket

Started by GTVeloce, February 02, 2014, 09:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTVeloce

The top of my petrol tank appears to have a small leak where the gauge sender goes. I haven't dropped the tank yet to investigate as I would like to have a solution ready to invoke at the same time. I'm presuming however, that the rubber gasket has perished and that is the cause of my leak.

I haven't managed to source a new replacement gasket.

So, my question is, can you seal the top of a petrol tank (possibly completely replace the gasket) with something like maybe silicon? Or will silicon degrade too much with petrol? Something else that will work?

Craig_m67

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Darryl

Um - does that gasket fit a 75 TS tank/sender? If it does, great, I haven't been able to find one either...

Al Campbell

Silicon is not petrol proof. It may handle some fumes on air intakes but not liquid petrol.
The ring on my 116 looked good, but still leaked. I brought a sheet of nitrile from Clark Rubber and made a new ring. Worked fine.

I went in to CR asked for the nitrile but got talked in to another material - they have an application guide sheet which was wrong. Did a test and cut off a lump and immersed it  in a jar of petrol weighted it down to immerse. 24 hours later the little square had swollen by about 50%. Went back to CR and got the nitrile. Left a sample in petrol for 2 days - no reaction.

Something to rember if replacing air & fuel hoses in the car. Can be an issue as some of the metric sized fuel hoses in ALFAs aren't stocked at the common Auto stores. Pirtek is where I got some.

GTVeloce

Hm, like Darryl I am not confident that fits the 75 TS sender.

I don't appear to have a photo of the gasket but I managed to dig up a photo of the lower side of the plastic top of the sender unit i.e. the gasket goes between this face and tank. It's not the best photo but it might shed some light.

Craig, have you used that gasket specifically for this sender? It looks like it might fit the Alfetta sender (or the 75 in-tank pump) that installs into the side of the tank rather than the 75 that installs in the top.

I guess if I doesn't fit then it's plan B, CR for some Nitrile.

Thanks

Craig_m67

I apologise. I assumed we were talking about a 105, didn't look at the forum or your sig., again sorry

Might be quicker just to ring or email; alfaholics, classicalfa, ebspares etc and just ask them direct. I expect they would know if the gasket is available or not.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)