Coolant

Started by bteoh, February 12, 2014, 03:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bteoh

Just wanted to know experiences in different types of coolant for an Alfa V6 engine. I am due to change the coolant in my 75 Potenziata and was wondering what I should use. Alfa recommends Paraflu which comes in a blue bottle and the coolant is red. Penrite makes a new 6 year Red OAT Coolant.
Anyone care to shed some info on what experiences they have had?
Cheers  :)

colcol

Nulon green coolant good for 33's and older cars not requiring Glycol, so don't go to the snow, otherwise your block will crack, glycol is not allowed in Motorsport, or in our case sprints, as if it leaks, it won't dry quickly on the track, but no good in newer cars like my 156 JTS, as it rusts up.
Nulon red coolant is used for newer cars like 156's, it lasts a lot longer than the green coolant, the green coolant should be changed after 2 years, the red coolant lasts 4 years.
It is good to use distilled water in it as well, as you want pure water which is not going to rust up, i purchased some distilled water from Supercheap for about $6 for 5 litres.
It is best to buy the concentrated coolant, and mix it yourself, as if you buy the pre-mixed coolant, you are buying water and you can't vary the dosage and strength.
From what i have read, the blue coolants are more for Japanese cars, but as ever, don't go on color, just use what the coolant and oil companies recomend.
Make sure the cooling system is clean before you add new coolant, and don't mix different coolants, as they can turn to sludge, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]