147 GTA Speaker and Radio Upgrade

Started by Choogz, January 29, 2014, 01:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Choogz

Hi alfa guru's

I've got a 2003 147 GTA and the radio is to be frank a total piece of shit, so I'm thinking of just going for a double din radio system with touch screen, and possibly upgrading the speakers as I like to hear my music in all its glory but not excessively bassy doof doof music.

Just wondering what radios others have installed because I've noticed quite a few people changing the radio setup but I haven't seen any speaker upgrades or inclusions of a sub in any car.

Keen to hear some opinions and advice so I can get the right gear for my beloved GTA, whilst I'd love to keep it as original as possible sometimes its just too impractical.. and in the case of the radio skipping/not having a auxiliary it just ruins my driving constantly having to burn cd's for the radio to skip every bump it hits..

Opinions?

shiny_car

Do you have a rough idea of budget? $1000/2000/5000?? And does that need to include installation by a store (as opposed to DIY)?

If you want a nice quality 2-DIN with nav, then you're looking at $1500~2000 for an Alpine. You'll also need a dash kit fascia (to fill the gap around the edge of the new headunit and the dash opening), and probably want a steering wheel control interface; off ebay, these might cost another $150. Plus fitment.

So, if you have a small budget, something like that obviously isn't realistic, but ok for a no-name or cheap brand of headunit without nav.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Choogz

I was thinking around 1-1500 would be sufficient to get a sub and change the speakers out to improve the current speakers in the GTA. I was looking at the pioneer double din head units without Nav, I've got my phone for navigation.

But then again I know jack all of car audio.. I just want good music with better bass and a head unit with bluetooth/ AUX/iPod connectivity.. the stock unit doesn't even accept mp3 discs for christs sake.

extraball

I like the speakers in the 147, but the stereo unit does skip terribly, and wont play mp3s. You can buy a device that connects via the stacker connector, which allows you connect an ipod or mp3 player. My car had one, but it failed, and was the cause of draining the battery. I wonder if we could find a tablet device that would fit in the dash?

Craig_m67

Quote from: bcurko on February 15, 2014, 11:39:10 PM
.. the stock unit doesn't even accept mp3 discs for christs sake.

What are you, twelve?

There is plenty of builds on the net showing the 147/156 HU being modified for Aux in and or line out for an external amp. There are also heaps of builds using different speakers and materials to ensure good sound.

Search is your friend
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

shiny_car

Quote from: bcurko on February 15, 2014, 11:39:10 PM
I was thinking around 1-1500 would be sufficient to get a sub and change the speakers out to improve the current speakers in the GTA. I was looking at the pioneer double din head units without Nav, I've got my phone for navigation.

Again, depends if you need to factor in professional installation, which can be $400~500 as part of a package.

But generally, you will get good entry level gear for $1000~1500 for sub, speakers and amp. From what you've written, I presume the Pioneer is extra, on top of that budget.

*10~12" subwoofer $200
*4-channel amp $400
*2-way 6.5" components speakers/splits $300
*basic custom designed/built sub box $200
*wiring, fuse/fuseholder, RCA cables, etc $200

Fitting a new headunit, factor in a steering wheel control interface/patch lead (maybe eBay, <$100, or through a local store $150), and dash fascia kit.

It can be done for cheaper, if this suddenly seems too expensive, and maybe state a more accurate total budget.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey