airconditioning too COLD

Started by johnr, February 22, 2014, 09:38:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnr

i have aquired a 2005 V6 auto 156.  Drives amazingly, but the airconditioner seems stuck on arctic temperatures and does not respond to the dual temperature dials.  anyone know if this is a major problem or a simple fix.  i live in a hot humid climate so it is ok most of the time, but gets so cold i can get outside condensation
John

colcol

It could be a number of things, the climate control, with the 3 dials can play up, usually the dials loose their friction and the dials freewheel and won't stay on the right temperature and the airconditioning thermostat can fail and the temperature is unknown and the compressor goes flat out, also the TX valve in the airconditioner can fail and be jammed open causing a flood of refrigerant coolant, so their is no way of restricting the flow.
I would take it to an Alfa Service Provider, who has most likely done this before, and would know where to source parts from.
The last time i heard, the climate control panels are about $800 from Alfa Romeo Australia, and if this is faulty, there may be someone who fixes them, anyone out there, knows who fixes them?, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

johnr

i have just realised that the outside temperature gauge is reading 97 cenigrade.  it is hot but not that HOT!  seems my reading online would suggest that my 156 climate control has some fancy ability to adjust the airconditioner to compensate for outdoor.  i guess this could also be part of the problem.  Any suggestions as to a good Alfa dealer near Beaudesert 4285.  My nearest is Keema at Springwood.
John

Craig_m67

There are a couple of temp sensors. On the passenger wing mirror (apparently), on the dash (round bump in front of the message centre) and in the climate unit itself (behind the tiny five cent sized grills). Are any of these obviously missing/broken?

The one in the climate control unit should buzz as there's a small fan (pulling) behind it.
I believe the one on the mirror does the outside (obviously)

I have a spare climate unit (wonky dials but senses temps properly) if you want to test (Woolloongabba 4102). I think I've got a spare passenger mirror too, indeed I will check on the weekend and see if it has a temp sensor :)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

wankski

Quote from: colcol on February 22, 2014, 10:04:14 AM
The last time i heard, the climate control panels are about $800 from Alfa Romeo Australia, and if this is faulty, there may be someone who fixes them, anyone out there, knows who fixes them?, Colin.

yes, i do.. non-responsive or fluctuating controls are due to the light sensors being faulty or due to a bad solder joint...

see below.

http://www.ausalfa.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6644&p=123775#p123775

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/356425-climate-control-no-heating-no-cooling-heater-knob-fix.html

Craig_m67

Quote from: colcol on February 22, 2014, 10:04:14 AM

As mentioned above, I've a working spare if you need to discount which bit is faulty.

They're also available (tested) from most wreckers for very little, ie >>http://www.autolusso.co.uk/parts/used-alfa-parts.html#!/~/product/category=1382048&id=5518951

no affiliation, etc. just good service on 2nd hand bits for recent Alfas.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

colcol

The sensor on the left hand mirror is called a thermister and it sends information to the outside temperature readout, don't you just luv having an outside temperature gauge, so you know the temperature outside?, i know i miss it when i drive the 33, that hasn't got a outside temp readout, these thermister switches have been known to fail, there is a post on one from about 3 years ago, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Meng

i would love to have artic ac in my gta....
Alfa Romeo 156 GTA 3.2 V6