Water Wetter being too effective

Started by bix, February 22, 2014, 06:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bix

Hi all,
After the 40 degree day at our Sandown sprint where the car ran over the 90 degree mark for most of the day, I decided to replace the standard radiator coolant with some Redline Water Wetter. For those that have never heard of the stuff, it is supposed to be far superior in transfering heat than your standard coolant and contains all the anti-corrosion stuff.
Driving down the coast yesterday, the temp gauge now sits just above the 75 degree mark which seems a little too cold (see attached temp shot) and certainly a lot lower than with the previous coolant on a similar day. I would have thought that the thermostat would control this a little better (note: thermostat was replaced a couple of years ago and I don't believe it to be faulty).

What are your thoughts? Is this temp a little too low for the motor to run optimally or am I another paranoid Alfa driver?

colcol

I would check your thermostat, as you have said you haven't replaced it for a few years, well it must be worn out and opening too early, i would check the thermostat, before condemming the water wetter, also the water wetter may have changed the heat transfer properties of the coolant sensor, i know when my coolant was a bit rusty, the corrosion on the temp sensor caused it to read differently, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Steve S

The WW may be more effective at removing heat than glycol but the thermostat works off temperature alone and should close up a little further if the engine starts running too cold. It is a simple thermomechanical device at the end of the day and temperature may fluctuate a little depending on the conditions.

Driving on a very cold day would still give better cooling efficiency with glycol coolant than a hot day wth WW. Cruising down the Ocean Rd, WW or not should run cooler than racing at Sandown on a 40C day. The coolant temperature is high enough not to worry IMO. It would run far cooler if the stat was stuck open.