WTB-Alfa75 v6 radiator

Started by Alfamania, March 28, 2014, 07:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfamania

Hi,  Does anybody know where i can buy a brand new radiator for an Alfa 75 3.0 v6? I broke the top return hose plastic pipe while working on something else :( so silly and fragile these new Valeo radiators. Radiator is new but now because of this I have to get a new one....

Anyone know a place? Thanks
Alfa GT 3.2
Maserati Gransport
Alfa 75 V6 3.0
BMW 318i e36
Saab 9000cs
Mazda Rx7 13B Extend port -Turbo
Ford XE ESP 5.8
Mazda RX-4 Coupe 13B Extend Port

MD

You may chose to get a radiator made with brass tanks and not more than 12 fins per inch for better air flow. The original Italian radiator has too many fins per inch and runs the motor too hot for Australian conditions especially in stop/start traffic. Only OK on the open road. Same applies to all 90 series.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Mick A

Try Monza Motors in Bayswater 03 9720 4442.

Cheers.

Alfamania

Thanks MD, can you tell of a competent place that can do this for me? or any radiator place can do them? Ive sorted out my problem all good, thanks
Alfa GT 3.2
Maserati Gransport
Alfa 75 V6 3.0
BMW 318i e36
Saab 9000cs
Ford XE ESP 5.8

MD

Alfamania,

I am little confused. ..I have sorted out my problems but you are still seeking my advice..Do you see what  I mean?

I am going to assume that you still want my advice. OK.

The answer to your question is that any proper radiator works can do this job for you. It will require you explaining what you want, the business operator to measure up the openings, the connection orientations, the fan mounts etc and then proceed to look up a bunch of catalogues to obtain a matching core sizes which may be intended for a completely different car but it will do the job. They may elect to also salvage brass tanks off an older second hand radiator if necessary to be able to solder it into a new core. That is perfectly OK as the brass tanks do not wear out and the entire new hand made radiator will be pressure tested to ensure its integrity.

They have been making radiators like this for a least a century for all sorts of things from trucks, tractors stationary engines and obviously for cars too. It is a proven system unlike the cant fix 'em plastic tank crap around today.

Given proper care and the use of distilled water and a corrosion inhibitor that is regularly changed, it will outlast your car.  :)

Be sure to get a few quotations for the job and tell them you want a drain tap installed too.

An alternative would be to consider an all aluminium hand made radiator with aluminium tanks. Whatever is cheapest will do an equally good job. Just remember what I said about core fin density.(12FPI)

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Alfamania

Thanks MD, much appreciated, have you done this 12fpi radiator for your v6 transaxle as well? Whats it like in heavy traffic? How long does the fan stay on/off? Thank you
Alfa GT 3.2
Maserati Gransport
Alfa 75 V6 3.0
BMW 318i e36
Saab 9000cs
Ford XE ESP 5.8

MD

Yes done this job to my wifes' 75 V6 about 3 years ago. Sons' 90 series had the same problem. Pulled out the original radiator only to find it exceptionally good order. After a very close examination as to why the car was always running hot in traffic, I discovered two things about this radiator that are bad news.

1 It had small round tubes without internal scrubbers.(insufficient surface area for heat exchange)
2 Around 20FPI making air flow difficult (hence no problems at speed/high temp in traffic).

Installing a core with conventional flat tubes and less fins per inch solved the problem completely.

I cannot remember exactly what core we used. Possibly a SAAB unit. The thermo fan now comes on rarely and only for short periods. Steady temp around 86-90*C and for Qld. that is pretty good.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Alfamania

That sounds promissing, i shall give it a go! :) thank you
Alfa GT 3.2
Maserati Gransport
Alfa 75 V6 3.0
BMW 318i e36
Saab 9000cs
Ford XE ESP 5.8

Nate Dog

Same issue with the 116 cores perchance?
My gtv is always running a little too hot for my liking.
Is there a way to set the thermostat or the thermostat switch to come on at a lower temp or is it coming on at 90 and my readout is way off?
Sorry to hijack thread, only doing it cause its resolved :)

Duk

Four90s (Steve) once told me that 164 radiators were a good fit/solution for the 90/75s. From the looks of them, they use a more conventional core design rather than the earlier Alfa style that MD has described.

MD

Nate Dog,
I have owned several Alfettas and GTVs-all 2 litre cars. These radiators are old school stuff and provided the ENTIRE cooling system including minimal build up of mineral deposits around the wet sleeves and inside the radiator tubes, the system copes very well.

To put it simply, no these radiators are not the same as the 75/90 series cars and therefor you should not be experiencing running hot temps.

Engines running hot could be for the following reasons unrelated to the radiator:-

1 Incorrect timing
2 Fuel mixture too lean
3 Towing loads
4 Exhaust restriction
5 Poor oil circulation
6 Incorrect water pump belt tension
7 Water pump impeller corroded away
8 Incomplete thermostat opening
9 Thermo switch with incorrect temp calibration.
10 Tight bearings on thermo fan
11 Thermo fan blades damaged or missing
11 Poor mounting of thermo fan on radiator so that there is not enough suck through the radiator occurring.

Issues relating to the radiator itself are a lot fewer. Ninety percent of the time, the core is partially blocked from mineral deposition that has come out of solution from people using water that is not distilled. Once the tanks are removed and the tubes cleaned (if the core is sound) and the whole thing soldered together again, pressure tested, new cap fitted, the problem is resolved. If it doesn't then you need to go through the list 1>11 above.

Guys often want to do the right thing and change the cars' coolant as scheduled. However, if you are the type that uses premixed coolants, be sure that there is a declaration in the make up of the solution that specifies the water used to be distilled. If it doesn't, it is likely to be tap water which you definitely do not want. If so,make up your own brew. Personally I recycle the condensate from my air conditioners and ad an corrosion inhibitor. Depending on the climate in your area, you may need a glycol based additive for anti-freeze.

I once imported a TS engine complete from Holland. When I pulled it apart, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The engine cooling system internals were like new including all the water galleries in the head which itself was unmarked. This is despite the engine having run up some 250,000km and was around 20 years old. Testament to the use of distilled water.

I have also pulled down a Datsun 1600 motor only to find so much mud in it you could plant the next season spuds in it- all from using creek water. :)

And that's all she wrote...

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0