Wrecker prices

Started by jimay3677, June 20, 2014, 09:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimay3677

omg, I submitted a request on findapart for a selespeed pump to rebuild and keep as a spare.
I had one place I won't name come back with $950, $950!! for something I can get in Australia for $540 brand new with the relay or $400 on here refurbished with 1 year warranty.  Used one's are around $250 on Ebay.

I replied to them asking if it was a typo because they're nearly half that brand new.

Domenic

If you call an Alfa Dealer a selespeed pump is close to the $1000 mark, so it isn't surprising.

The one for $400 seems fair, seeing as a 2nd hand one is $250, then you need to buy the parts to fix it and spend the time yourself doing it. Plus it comes with a warranty.

But if you're only going to buy it to put aside for when you need one, you may as well just keep the money in your pocket until you do need it and buy one then.

jimay3677

The wrecker replied that is was a typo and wanted $550 instead.
I realised these are expensive through dealers but I feel sorry for anyone who pays $550 for a second hand pump with questionable life when you can by a brand new one for less.

From what I can tell the pumps have been revised over the years as I've seen pictures of them with plastic retainers for the brushes, now I'd be happy to find one of those used.

The reason for wanting one spare is because if the pump fails it means the car can't be driven until the new one arrives which makes getting to work a little tough.