What are the HVAC recirc air inlet 'diffusers' meant to look like?

Started by shiny_car, June 30, 2014, 11:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiny_car

I am cleaning the HVAC unit in my 3.0 75.

I noticed the circular 'diffuser' air inlets on either side of the fan seem to be missing flaps, so I am wondering if anyone can confirm - and have a photo/picture - of what they are meant to look like and how they function.

Oh, and if anyone has intact ones available, I'd be interested to purchase. Or even just the flaps, because they appear to just clip into the 'rings', which seem undamaged in mine.

#8 in this schematic:

And either side of the fan in my photos (one deformed 'upper flap' on the left):

TIA. :)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

MD

shiny,

Here's some photos of what they look like. (both sides)

The "flap" materials are made of light weight sheet plastic that lifts during fan operation and falls back to cover the openings when the fans are off.

You got arsey. I am just in the process of doing some maintenance on mine !  :)
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

shiny_car

Cheers MD, that's really helpful. :)

Interestingly, I notice mine are circular, and different to yours. I also notice on ePer, mine correlates with cars fitted with AC. Does your car lack AC?

This is the ePer schematic that seems to correlate with yours:

If it's lightweight rubber/foam, I can probably make something myself. It doesn't seem crucial to have, but it could potentially stop some larger debris (eg: dry leaf or piece of tissue) from being sucked into the unit.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

MD

The difference in the shape is probably just a different batch or different supplier to Alfa.

Mine has an evaporator inside the box but the AC is not working. Got leaks in the condenser,and a couple of hoses.I have taken it out and I am about to clean the interiors and service the fans for lubrication and brushes if required.

The film you need is probably only about 0.5mm thick and needs to be "floppy" A vinyl sheet material would do. Do not use foams as they will degenerate into powder.. :)
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0