105 engine starting up after sitting idle - advice please

Started by Ash Gordon, May 12, 2014, 03:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash Gordon

Hi,

I need to move my 105 from its comfy spot in the shed where it has been awaiting restoration.

Now I have to admit I have sadly let her sit idle for about 18 months  :-\  so not even sure it will move easily let alone start.

any tips for getting her going again and risks seeing as she has sat idle for so long ? I don't want to be doing any damage.

Thanks Ash
'69 105 1750 GTV White (SLOW work in progress)
'72 105 2000 GTV Green ( Donor Car)

McAnnik

Hi Ash, shoudnt be a problem firing up the car, the normal checks apply, coolant, oil,etc. To save drag on the battery,remove spark plugs and squirt a little oil for lubrication,yes! replace the plugs, remove the big brass hexagon plugs on the top of the Webers (1 each jug) dribble in about a good sized egg cup full of petrol and replace plugs,this during the cranking stage gets the engine firing a lot sooner giving the fuel pump time to prime the carbs. Pull the choke on, crank engine, it will most likely fire straght away. jiggle the throttle up and down and keep it running while slowly shoving the choke back in, don't rev the shit out of the motor at this point. there will be lots of banging  and popping and general farting coming from the jugs at this point but thats normal in a cold start Alfa. Job done!   Get it hot and go for a thrash somewhere. cheers.