What to look for on a 80's GTV

Started by fazersix, May 05, 2014, 11:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fazersix

Hi, I am looking to buy an early 80's GTV, always loved them!
What are the common faults, areas to check? I have seen info on gearbox and valves!
I understand that they are 30 years old an will need maintenance, I look forward to that!

Thanks

Richard

Paul Gulliver

Rust

All the rest is relatively easy to fix or maintain . Buy the best body you can.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

fack33

Just registered a 1982 GTV. As per post from Paul check the body over carefully for rust. Ours had a hole in the drivers door pillar between the two hinges. This had to be cut out and a steel plate welded in place. Other thing to watch for is incorrect tyre profile. Ours had 195/65/14s on. It was failed for not having minimum 100mm road clearance. Put on 185/70/14s and passed without any trouble.

Joe Falcone

Thats very strange cause the difference in circumference would be only a few mm. In fact any tyre shop would sell you that size if you wanted to jump to 195 from stock.
1979 Alfetta GTV
1991 75 3.0 QV (potenziata)
2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio
2021 Stelvio Veloce

Nate Dog

Different states, different criteria...
Rust rust rust and rust.

Everywhere :(
Yes, we love them, but, if you've ever read Thomas Covenant, the tales of an unbeliever, our GTV's are essentially the Lepers of the car world. Constant Vigilance!
If you see rust, cut it out straight away, repair area, prep and paint, leave it too long and it'll spread....

Places to check, under side of doors, take off the door card if you can, check inside the door bottom.
In the boot, left and right, there are spaces between the boot floor and quarter panel. Stick your fingers in there and drag back and forth. Under the carpets, front, boot, check every piece of bare metal you can get your eyes onto.
look under the car to check for a rotten door. Knock on panels, find where metal is and where bondo has replaced it...
Mechanicals, suspension, interior, all easy to work on, fix, etc.
The electrics are mega kludge, anything which isn't working can be fixed with a soldering iron, even 'circuit boards' or what passes for such at alfa romeo...
Other than that, have fun. Great cars, treat it right and you'll always love it.

hmd

Q: What to look for on a 80's GTV?
A: An pre-80 car, at least they will be eligible for historic racing and thus easier to resell.