Selespeed on 147's

Started by cranberry, May 22, 2014, 06:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cranberry

Hi all. Is the Selespeed setup the same on 147's as it is on 156's? The reason I ask is because I hear about Selespeed issues with 156's more than I do with 147's. I'm looking for a cheap auto for my daughter and I to share so wondering if the 147 fits the bill of trouble free motoring (not that that's possible with any Alfa  ;D) Cheers

Mick A

If you want relatively trouble free motoring I would highly recommend the 156 2.5L V6 Automatic. It is a traditional automatic and they are very reliable and maintenance free.

poohbah

Only problem if you get the Busso is that your daughter will never get a turn behind the wheel...
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Craig_m67

Quote from: cranberry on May 22, 2014, 06:49:49 AM
Hi all. Is the Selespeed setup the same on 147's as it is on 156's? The reason I ask is because I hear about Selespeed issues with 156's more than I do with 147's. I'm looking for a cheap auto for my daughter and I to share so wondering if the 147 fits the bill of trouble free motoring (not that that's possible with any Alfa  ;D) Cheers

To answer the actual question; yes, they're identical.

Its a complicated and not well understood gearbox mechanism that requires annual maintenance (calibration). That said, those who have working ones love them.  The Selespeed mechanism can also be found on the 156/147 GTA, Ferrari 360 (?) and the Aston Martin Vanquish.  Amongst any number of FIATS.   It's best avoided if you (dad) want simple fuss free maintenance and motoring.

Get a manual (1.9JTD is the best 147 pick in my opinion) or the 156 V6 auto if there is no capacity for hand eye coordination :)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

colcol

How much better would Alfa Romeo's reliability reputation have been if all the 4 cylinders in the 147 and 156 series have had a conventional auto gearbox instead of the Selespeed debarcle, not to mention about double the sales, look at all the problems that the V-6 156's have with their 4 speed auto gearbox, [not], Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Garibaldi

The 156 and later the 147 were launched here with a view to them being a new beginning for Alfa Romeo in this country. Given there had not been any Alfa Romeo cars here for a quite few years it was a great opportunity for Alfa to prove that the bad old days had gone and they now had a great reliable product. Enter the Selespeed, a great idea but flawed in its execution, this did more damage to the brands reputation which is the last thing they needed at this time when they were desperately trying to rebuild their image. Having driven both the Selespeed and Manual versions of the 147 I don't why you you would want one unless you can't drive a Manual.  ???

cranberry

I'm happy driving a manual, my daughter isn't and we will be sharing the car. Thanks all for your replies. It looks like a Selespeed is off the table then. Is this a similar setup to the Punto Duologic system?